Studies found spicy food decrease risk of early death

Options
fishgutzy
fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
If that is true I'm going to live forever.
I love Carolina Reapers. I add a whole pepper to me eggs.
I make my own Fear The Reaper for sauce from home grown Carolina Reaper peppers too.
I brought a bottle to China with me.
Took it out to lunch today.

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Clears the sinuses.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Clears the sinuses.

Was thinking the same .lol

I like spicy food that I can taste not punish my self nor burn my mouth. 🙃
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    What studies? Could you link it, please. I'm curious.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Fake news.
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    Sorry for the shorthand above. This is a 3 year old "observational study" meaning that researchers "observed" the correlation between persons who do a particular thing compared to their mortality. Just like the fake news "red wine" announcement last year.

Why these people do this stuff is beyond me.

• nvmomketo
    Options
    Epidemiology = mythology

Science seems to have forgotten that observational studies can be used to create a hypothesis, but not prove or disprove it.
  • DoctorMomo
    DoctorMomo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Spicy foods has chille which is full of vitamin C. Spicey foods are not all equal in description. Many spicey foods comes with salt, animal fat, fried foods. We need details of the study, the claim is too vague and thus invalid.
  • wilson10102018
    edited March 2019
    Options
    DoctorMomo wrote: »
    Spicy foods has chille which is full of vitamin C. Spicey foods are not all equal in description. Many spicey foods comes with salt, animal fat, fried foods. We need details of the study, the claim is too vague and thus invalid.

There are no details since is is "observational." No clinical activity. Like I said above, healthy people eat spicy food. People with bad digestive tracts don't. Or, active people eat spicy food. Richer people eat spicy food. People descended from warriors live in schezwan and schezwan people eat spicy food. Guess what? Spicy food eaters have a little lower mortality.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    If it doesn’t make your hemorrhoids tap dance, it isn’t hot.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Epidemiology does not equate to mythology. It's a way of observing correlations and opening up avenues of further scientific investigation.

Scientists themselves don't misunderstand the role of epidemiology, the media does.

Furthermore, anyone who thinks that science can be used to "prove" anything doesn't understand science.

Sorry. My wording was not exact. I was thinking how nutritional and health epidemiology is usually proven wrong when actually tested. I wrote epidemiology=mythology because I was thinking of an article from Pschology Today that I had read:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/diagnosis-diet/201901/eat-lancets-plant-based-planet-10-things-you-need-know?amp

Nutrition epidemiology = mythology

The vast majority of human nutrition research — including the lion share of the research cited in the EAT-Lancet report — is conducted using the tragically flawed methodology of nutrition epidemiology. Nutrition epidemiology studies are not scientific experiments; they are wildly inaccurate, questionnaire-based guesses (hypotheses) about the possible connections between foods and diseases. This approach has been widely criticized as scientifically invalid [see here and here], yet continues to be used by influential researchers at prestigious institutions....

She goes on to note

Tragically, more than 80% of these guesses are later proved wrong in clinical trials. With a failure rate this high, nutrition epidemiologists would be better off flipping a coin to decide which foods cause human disease. 

And links to this
    https://rss.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1740-9713.2011.00506.x

But I sort of agree, not all science has forgotten that epidemiology cannot show anything more than a correlation. Academics seem to often (sometimes) remember this. Those who use the science (doctors, politicians and policy makers, not for profit health organizations, and the media) are the main culprits.

And yes, I probably should not have used the word prove. I should have said found evidence that confirmed/supported a hypothesis instead. I had assumed that people would get the gist of what I was saying.

Another (newer) article on observational studies if interested
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6243202/
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Clears the sinuses.

Wasabi sure does.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    DoctorMomo wrote: »

Animal fat is actually good for you. Foods that are breaded and fried, not so much.
    My triglycerides dropped from over 300 down to 45 when I ate more eggs, bacon, sausage, and pork, and less carbs.