OMG!! How many calories....

Mctraill
Mctraill Posts: 6 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
So I took on board everyone's advice yesterday I planned my food intake and logged it...OMG!!! How many calories is there in whole grain rice 125g I have so much to learn like eating breakfast and not stuffing my self to the gills on an evening and portion control I ended up with 60g of rice and steamed veggies instead with a home made curry. I know it's going to take a while but at least I am on track and learning....now to go through my cupboards and get rid of all tempting things...:)

Replies

• SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    It's all about eating in moderation! You'll get the hang of it...we're all learning! =)) Good lucK!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Glad you are on the right track!!!! It takes time but you will get there.....Good luck!!!!!
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    That is a great step forward! Portions are a huge problem for (I would say) most people. Reading labels and finding that this small box of something is labeled as serving 4...or this bottle of pop is really 2.5 servings..can be a real eye opener! I was also shocked to see how little difference things like fat free dressings are compared to original versions, because they add other stuff (like sugar!)
  • arassely
    arassely Posts: 12
    Tell me about it. I still surprised at some of the calories in my favorite foods! But you will get the hang of it! Good Luck! :)
  • themanda04
    themanda04 Posts: 60 Member
    portion control is a huge thing. it was a real eye-opener for me when i started logging and actually seeing what i was consuming. it's cray!

what really helped me in the beginning was measuring out a serving, putting it in a bowl/plate, and then putting everything away. i didn't tell myself i couldn't have more if i wanted it, i just made it more difficult to actually do that. :)

and i did the exact same thing about going through my cupboards and pantry. i ended up with four grocery bags worth of stuff i wasn't interested in eating anymore for the food bank. i felt like such a good person!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    I remember my shock when I started counting. I began substituting better choices and cutting portions, felt full as well. Keep going, do your best.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    It's easier once you get use to portion planning and portion sizes. Good for you on making adjustments so your curry with rice fit into your day.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    It is a huge wake up call when you first start out. Now you know where you need to be and how to get there. Keep plugging along. It gets better.
  • I remember being really surprised by the amount of calories in things like dried fruit! But you'll get the hang of it! Good luck!
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Was just as amazed to find that I was eating almost 8k calories a day...portion control FTW!:drinker:
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    It takes a little while - a couple months or so and you'll have the hang of it. Congrats on getting started and moving forward in the right direction!!!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Just don't stress over it. You'll be fitting your curry back in in no time. :) There's room for it.

Let yourself learn, make adjustments as you do, and don't, don't, don't beat yourself up. Just the fact that you learned something new and made a good choice today is reason to feel great about the journey you've started.
  • My boss told me about this site. I am very excited to have this tool. Thanks for the pep talk!:smile::smile:
  • Jen8781
    Jen8781 Posts: 22 Member
    The good thing is, you can still have the curry, just substitute the extra rice you would have had for extra veg in the curry, still feel very full but with less than half the calories. This is also sustainable than just rice and veg, that just gets boring!
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    So if you're going to do it right, be sure you're weighing and measuring everything or you'll end up overestimating. It happens to the best of us when we have to guess.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    It is amazing how many foods are calorie bombs! And even in small portions. It IS an eye opener
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    If you've never paid attention to that kind of stuff before you'll see some real eye openers. Obviously you know things like fried food and cake are calorie dense, but so are nuts, dried fruit, starchy veggies like corn, and avocados! You'll figure it out. You'll also be pleasantly surprised by how much "bad food" you can fit in to your calorie goals. I have pizza, burgers, and alcohol every week and am still losing because I am now having them in a much less absurd amount.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Portion control is the most confusing. You hear it all the time, and some think you just eat less. but less of what? The amount you were eating before? When starting out, it's really important to read the serving size, and serve yourself that size. A can of anything is usually 2 or 3 servings, and most people eat a whole can, (FYI, never eat a can of anything, anymore. Too much sodium.) We love spaghetti, so I changed to whole wheat and organic sauce in a jar. But a serving size of the noodles is 2oz. Once you measure that, it's amazing how much anyone eats of it, or the resturants serve.

Someone mentioned low fat items. Always get the normal version, beacuase, they are right, they add other stuff to it to make it taste good since they took out the fat. Really you are never saving yourself too many fat grams anyway. Hope this helps!! Good luck to you!
  • Mctraill
    Mctraill Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks guys it really is an eye opener but I am determined to do this planning meals will be my downfall as I can plan but then when it comes to it I think I don't fancy that and that's when the fish and chips kick in...I know this so I need to be tough with myself...
  • Thea53186
    Thea53186 Posts: 12 Member
    I have a hard time planning meals too. Just not my personality I guess. And... calories sneak up on ya! Just last night I made a great healthy meal, and then put it together calorie wise and ended up with a much denser calorie count than I was planning. At least it was healthy though.

Don't be tough on yourself :( Make small changes that actually work for you and before you know it a whole slew of changes will have happened and you will be moving forward at a pace that is EASY. Strict planning doesn't work for me, BUT a general calorie goal really does. With some guidelines on fat count and carb count and so on. Eh... but if I don't make all of it, at least I'm doing better TODAY then I was YESTERDAY.
This discussion has been closed.