Gabapentin weight gain

Options
I've been taking Gabapentin since July 2018 and have gained an insane amount of weight...I'm 5'1" and my regular weight is usually in and around 55 to 60kg. I'm now 75kg. I'm absolutely miserable and basically none of my clothes fit anymore. I went to see a dietician in January of this year and I am following her plan to the letter but my weight is not budging. I've heard other people have gained a lot of weight from this medication, but has anyone here got any experience or advice? I'm really not coping well with being so heavy, physically or mentally.

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I've never heard of weight gain with Gabapentin. My sister has MS and takes that. She hasn't gained any weight while taking it. She's actually unintentionally lost weight in the past year.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Do you know by what mechanism it's causing you to gain weight? Appetite, water retention, hormonal swings?

Have you been counting calories with the dietitian?
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    My mother takes gabapentin. She did not gain weight on it but has successfully lost 40 pounds while on it. It all comes down to your diet, but some medications can cause increased hunger and hormonal fluctuations that cause you to eat more. Dieticians' plans are good to get an idea of your nutritional/caloric needs but should be used in conjunction with calorie counting to be most effective.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I gained a lot while on it. I started craving foods I didn't eat often and since I was in pain from my condition and mostly homebound I wasn't really aware how much I gained at first. People always are doubtful about that but whatever. With that much pain and only wearing comfortable clothing all the time, I wasn't focused on how I looked.

It's notorious for increasing hunger. Many gain while on it.

I'm no longer on it. I'd recommend closely monitoring your food by using this app. If you are hungry often, find low calorie foods you can eat in bulk while staying within your calorie alottment.

Editing to add a reminder to the dubious people that we are not all prescribed the same dosage either. Just FYI before telling anyone it's not possible because someone you know takes it with no problems.
  • cstieve1919
    cstieve1919 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been there with gabapentin. Gained 20 lbs in 3 months without changing anything. Weight gain is absolutely a side effect along with fatigue. It makes everything in your body slowdown. I have finally weaned off of it and with diet and exercise have lost 20 lbs in less than 2 months. My best advice is to increase your activity level and watch your calorie intake even more while on it.
  • missmince
    missmince Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My husband hasn't gained any weight, but it makes him kind of tired. He skips some days, but it helps him tolerate annoyance at work, to put it mildly. Maybe you can get away with mini "drug vacations"? Ask your doctor. It's been better than a number of other meds, so you have to decide whether it's worth it to you. Most drugs of that kind will have some side effect and possible dependency. This has been his best, so he's staying with it.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I take 1200 mg of gabapentin daily. I’ve both gained and lost weight on it. When I gained, it was definitely my own doing (stopped going to the gym, eating right, etc.). When I lost weight, I lost just fine doing calorie counting and getting to the gym.

All in all, my weight was definitely independent from gabapentin. It’s possible that it’s making you fatigued or increased your appetite. Maybe you can check with your doctor for alternatives if that’s the case!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    my husband takes 900 mg 3 times a day for his neuropathy in his feet and has for the last 2 yrs or so. no major weight gain, he looses and gains the same 4-5 lbs over and over.