Vegan Cheese

Options
2»

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Kristi26 wrote: »
    For cheese, I like nutritional yeast for Parmesan subbing. Daiya brand for everything else. But if you haven’t been off cheese long, none of it will taste like cheese. I suggest going six months without it then try it. Haha.

I'm not sure where to find nutritional yeast. I tried a couple stores and couldnt find it.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I love nutritional yeast, but I want to warn you. When I first "went vegan", everything I read discussed how great of a substitute it is for cheesy flavor. I was a HUGE cheese freak. Lemme tell ya. It was highly disappointing. It didn't taste much like cheese to me at all. HOWEVER, if someone had told me it was a great UMAMI substitute, my expectations would've been different and I would've been THRILLED with it. Just my opinion and my opinion only.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Side note: This is the BEST cheeze sauce ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd8RjHWQUTo
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    For cheese, I like nutritional yeast for Parmesan subbing. Daiya brand for everything else. But if you haven’t been off cheese long, none of it will taste like cheese. I suggest going six months without it then try it. Haha.

I'm not sure where to find nutritional yeast. I tried a couple stores and couldnt find it.

Do you live by a Whole Foods? I can usually find it there. Sometimes they keep it in the aisle with the supplements, sometimes it is in the bulk bin.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's also carries it. I've been lucky enough to even find it at Kroger and Food Lion (if you have those in your area).
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »

Do you live by a Whole Foods? I can usually find it there. Sometimes they keep it in the aisle with the supplements, sometimes it is in the bulk bin.

The nearest one is about an hour away but that was going to be my next stop. Giving up dairy is proving to be harder than giving up meat for me. I have been meat free before. I am Swedish so dairy is in my blood!

I really appreciate all the suggestions.

:)
  • lpappas84
    lpappas84 Posts: 19 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Love Violife parmesan, and Kite Hill cream cheese is delish.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I second that kite hill cream cheese is delish- I also found a lot of different vegan cheese in Publix so if you live near ne- check it out