Be honest: walking a 5k.

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Call me lame...I walk 5Ks. 2 weeks ago I won 1st place overall for women walkers (36:27)--and I'm 58 and lost 90 pounds last year. (My 1st 5K in 0ct 2012 I finished in 53:37 minutes)

DO IT...BE LAME & PROUD OF IT!

IMG_20130809_102547_zpse07dd6a9.jpg

Holy crap! You probably beat a bunch of runners too!

Congrats, you are awesome.

I was once beaten by a speed walker in a half marathon. :laugh:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I think just about every race I've entered (up to half-marathons) has had a category "walkers" - no, it's not lame.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    The only thing that is lame is wearing the shirt you get for participating during the race. As long as you don't wear the race shirt you aren't the slightest bit lame, lots and lots of people walk 5K.

Seriously though, don't wear the race shirt during the race... don't be that guy.

I find that is pretty popular now a days, even with experienced runners. It was definitely a "newbie" thing but I don't find so much anymore.
    I don't because I am superstitious and I have to "earn" the shirt by finishing the race before I can wear it.
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    5k can be a blast me and a few friends walked a glow go race just a few weeks ago it took as around an hour but it was a blast we had fun supported a good cause and got exercise it was a win all the way around.
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hell no it wouldnt. Just the fact that you're doing a 5K is great in itself. Who cares if you're first to finish or last as long as you go up to do it! Have fun!!
  • Katrina_vw91
    Katrina_vw91 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Walking 5k is still exercise, and you are giving your body a great workout. So what if you're not running, you are still making your body move!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    The only thing that is lame is wearing the shirt you get for participating during the race. As long as you don't wear the race shirt you aren't the slightest bit lame, lots and lots of people walk 5K.

Seriously though, don't wear the race shirt during the race... don't be that guy.

I find that is pretty popular now a days, even with experienced runners. It was definitely a "newbie" thing but I don't find so much anymore.
    I don't because I am superstitious and I have to "earn" the shirt by finishing the race before I can wear it.

It's bad luck to be superstitious ...
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Call me lame...I walk 5Ks. 2 weeks ago I won 1st place overall for women walkers (36:27)--and I'm 58 and lost 90 pounds last year. (My 1st 5K in 0ct 2012 I finished in 53:37 minutes)

I have no idea who she is, but LOOK AT HER!! That would be enough motivation for me.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Your friend is lame. Walking a 5k is awesome. Go for it!

This ^^^^
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

It's bad luck to be superstitious ...

I'm doomed.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Would walking a 5k make me lame, as a friend suggests?

Not at all, and I'd call them out for being such a poor friend.

I ended up walking my first one due to bad shin splints. 61 minutes. My girlfriend (now wife) stayed with me the whole time.

Get out their and do it, and if they don't have the stones to pony up to the line with you, tell them THAT is the definition of lame.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Walking is totally cool is pretty much all races; sometimes they even have a special category specifically for walkers. I'm friends with a lovely couple who walk marathons together, and in every race I've been in there are plenty of people walking. I did the Run or Dye 5k last weekend with my brother and some friends, and we purposefully walked a good portion of it, including going twice through all of the dye stations. :smile:

Tell your friend to stop being a party pooper, get yourself a tutu, and have a blast out there!!
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I have walked three 5ks (1 in 2012 and 2 this year) my goal is to eventually run one. Its all about getting out there, having a fun healthy walk and supporting a good cause. Go for it and have a great time!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Please do not ridde horses if you are 300lbs, there backs are not able to handle that weight.. If you feel like you can walk 5k go for it!! Good luck
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I walked my first 5K and there were quite a few of us doing just that. Your friend sounds like a tool.
  • gr8fulsammi
    gr8fulsammi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I walk 5Ks all the time. I think it's a great stress-reliever, and although all of my coworkers run, they always encourage me. Did I say it was easy? No, but as I said, it made me feel better about myself, and gave me the incentive to keep exercising. GO FOR IT!
  • EirePetal
    EirePetal Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Wow, can I be you (in a non-creepy way)? :happy:
  • EirePetal
    EirePetal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Please do not ridde horses if you are 300lbs, there backs are not able to handle that weight.. If you feel like you can walk 5k go for it!! Good luck

What about on Clydesdales?
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

Holy crap! You probably beat a bunch of runners too!

Congrats, you are awesome.

I was once beaten by a speed walker in a half marathon. :laugh:

I was thinking that too! I run a 10-minute mile, so you're walking a 5k in only 5 minutes more than I'd run it. You'd blow me out of the water if you ever started running. That's fantastic!

To the OP: forget what your friend said, sign up for the 5k, and have a blast!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Just do it. It you want to do it, who cares if some else thinks it's "lame." I think it would be even more lame to not do something that you want to do, just because someone else might consider it uncool or whatever.