Any tips for a 20 year old newbie?

nollaife4
nollaife4 Posts: 4 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi guys,
So, 2 years ago before uni i made it my mission to get into shape. I managed to loose 8kg before i started uni and then a further 6kg during the first year. My problem now of course is that Ive put it all back on again!

So here's my plan:
Im going to consume 1100 calories a day. 14g of carbs(5%) maximum, although im going to be aiming for less, 165g(60%) protein and 43g fat(35%) which is the recommended minimum for my current weight.
I also play football once a week(match), with training once a week(1.5 hours) and fitness for another day a week(1.5hours). On top of this I have tennis for 2 hours a week. My aim is to burn 500 calories a day and hopefully loose 65lbs in total.

Just wondering if anyone had any changes they would make to this plan or any improvements. Also wanted to know if anyone had any tips on building moderate muscle. I used to play rugby so my muscle developed from playing/training(how i lost the weight before) but now that I've stopped i need to find an alternative that isn't necessarily lifting weights at the gym.

Any help would really really be appreciated guys! Thanks :wink:

Replies

• malk2651
    malk2651 Posts: 55 Member
    1100 seems low for someone doing that much activity.

If you seem constantly tired eat more if not keep doing whatever you doing.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    If you are burning 500 a day, 1100 a day isn't enough (that's a net of only 600, which is far too low to be healthy). You're going to burn yourself out if you try to exercise that much without giving yourself the fuel you need. Consider using a TDEE calculator to get a more reasonable number.
  • nollaife4
    If you are burning 500 a day, 1100 a day isn't enough (that's a net of only 600, which is far too low to be healthy). You're going to burn yourself out if you try to exercise that much without giving yourself the fuel you need. Consider using a TDEE calculator to get a more reasonable number.

Thanks for the help. The TDEE calculator is telling me that i need 2883, which is far more than im even capable of eating and way more than the average RDA anyways. Any ideas?
  • nollaife4
    1100 seems low for someone doing that much activity.

If you seem constantly tired eat more if not keep doing whatever you doing.

Thanks, I used to eat 1800 a day and do the same amount of exercise as I mentioned above, but stopped losing weight, so surely I need to reduce my intake??
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    RDA is just a number used for convencience to given vitamin and macro percentages (my maintenance calories are at 3000). The number spit out by a TDEE is how much you should eat to maintain. To lose, drop 20% from the TDEE for a hard burn and 10-15% for a more moderate burn. TDEE-20% puts your calories at 2300 a day or so. Calorie dense foods (nuts, cheeses, avocados, nut butters, hummus, etc.) can help you get the calories you need without a lot of food volume.
  • nollaife4
    RDA is just a number used for convencience to given vitamin and macro percentages (my maintenance calories are at 3000). The number spit out by a TDEE is how much you should eat to maintain. To lose, drop 20% from the TDEE for a hard burn and 10-15% for a more moderate burn. TDEE-20% puts your calories at 2300 a day or so. Calorie dense foods (nuts, cheeses, avocados, nut butters, hummus, etc.) can help you get the calories you need without a lot of food volume.

Oh, ok I understand it now,thanks. But my problem, is that my average calorie intake before was about 1800 this was with all the exercise that I mentioned above and ive got to a point where im no longer losing weight. If i was to then increase my calorie intake by this much(whilst doing the same amount of exercise as before) surely im just going to put on weight if anything?
This discussion has been closed.