2»

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Well, the old

kcals=.75*(weight in lbs)*(miles)

Is pretty crude, but it does underline the point that calorie burn from running scales with weight. Put differently, being lighter makes you a more-efficient runner.

0.75 or 0.63? I thought it was the latter per Runner's World.

I'll have to look up where I read this, but the calculations were:

Body Weight x .75 x miles = Gross Calories Burned

Body Weight x .63 x miles = Net Calories Burned

My Garmin puts me right in between the two for calories burned, which is surprisingly pretty accurate over the time I've been tracking my runs.

I'm thinking perhaps the Gross Calorie Burn is taking into account 'after burn' as your heart rate returns to it's resting heart rate post run.

But, please take what I've written with a grain a salt, as I do not know that for sure. This is simply my deduction on the matter.

Gross calories usually include your basal burn. That is, it includes the amount you've burned specifically through that exercise and the amount of calories that you would have burned anyway over that period.

Net usually includes only the incremental calories burned via that exercise.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    I ran 10 miles yesterday and feel the runger. Of course I ate like a horse and was still 1,000 calories under goal yesterday so it will balance out today.

I ran 9.2 miles yesterday... only got 770 cals... :grumble: :sad:

I ran 10 very hilly miles in 50mph winds and got 1000 calories, it did take me over 2 hours though and was very hard work.

i wish i got 1000 cals for 10 miles... :laugh:

Rather strangely the 100Cal/mile seems almost spot on for me, as long as I'm pushing myself whether that's with hills, speed or stupid headwinds.
    I remember the days when I got 100Cal per km, those were the days, except I was still very overweight and that km half killed me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I ran 10 miles yesterday and feel the runger. Of course I ate like a horse and was still 1,000 calories under goal yesterday so it will balance out today.

I ran 9.2 miles yesterday... only got 770 cals... :grumble: :sad:

I ran 10 very hilly miles in 50mph winds and got 1000 calories, it did take me over 2 hours though and was very hard work.

i wish i got 1000 cals for 10 miles... :laugh:

Rather strangely the 100Cal/mile seems almost spot on for me, as long as I'm pushing myself whether that's with hills, speed or stupid headwinds.
    I remember the days when I got 100Cal per km, those were the days, except I was still very overweight and that km half killed me.

Lucky you :laugh: