Eating Disorder

Options
MFPfriend
MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
So, the other day I was at my last training session for my study abroad program. Near the end of the session, they split up the guys and the girls to talk about specific issues.
While in a room with other girls, our training woman asked if anybody in the room had a history of eating disorders (they only ask because almost every exchange student gains 30 pounds or so while gone). Three girls raised their hands, including me. They both admitted to being bulimic a few years back. When asked what eating disorder I had, I replied "Over-eating."

Everybody laughed, and our trainer got pissed off at me. She told me to be quiet and that I should stop making a joke out of people with real eating disorders.

I'm so confused! Isn't over-eating considered an eating disorder? I mean, I was the biggest girl in that room by far (most of the girls were 120-130 pounds... one was 155). Now everybody in the group hates me and thinks I'm a mean person.

So what do you think? Should over-eating be classified as an eating disorder? Or was I wrong to say it was an eating disorder?

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You were not wrong. The trainer was an idiot!
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    well i do think it is.I don't know medically if it is or not, but eating can be come just as big as an obsession as not eating. I could see how some people would have thought you were joking and making fun though, I would just pull the teacher/coach aside and explain you weren't joking or trying to be mean.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Compulsive overeating and Binge eating are real disorders.
  • S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Options
    Oh wow..... I can't be believe how unprofessional and uneducated that trainer was.
    Yes, unfortunately binge-eating is also classified as an eating disorder. It falls into the category of "eating disorders not otherwise specified".

In what country are you doing your exchange?
  • anij67
    anij67 Posts: 21
    Options
    I agree with Sassy,,,,pull the trainer aside and explain that you were serious......It definately IS a REAL disorder.
  • Nezree
    Nezree Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you! Over-eating is a disorder! Don't let them get you down because they don't understand! Just like they have a reason to purge, we have a reason to over-eat! I battle everyday because I'm an emotional eater! I'm in nursing school right now and stress has me eating everything! I'm trying to conquer it! However, keep your head up because they just don't understand!
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    Oh wow..... I can't be believe how unprofessional and uneducated that trainer was.
    Yes, unfortunately binge-eating is also classified as an eating disorder. It falls into the category of "eating disorders not otherwise specified".

Germany. I leave on August 12th... I honestly don't think I can get anymore excited! lol.

Thanks guys! I don't feel so bad anymore. The trainer was basically a girl who went on exchange 15 years ago, not one trained in eating disorders. Maybe she just didn't know.

I'll send her an email telling her it wasn't my intention and that I didn't mean to upset anyone.
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You can refer her to overeaters anonymous if she needs more info.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    They (Doctors) have been trying to change that mentality about the obese that there are those that have mental disorders leading to the over-eating. (Binge)

http://www.medicinenet.com/binge_eating_disorder/article.htm

Obviously this trainer needs more training in professional behavior and is very mis-informed:angry: . :bigsmile: Hold your head high knowing that you were correct and are doing something about it. :flowerforyou:
  • S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Options

Germany. I leave on August 12th... I honestly don't think I can get anymore excited! lol.

yay, I am originally from Germany :) Where exactly are you going??

Germany is awesome. My best advice is be open-minded and enjoy the different culture. Also, I always felt I can eat much healthier in germany, so I don't think you will have problems - it's all a mindset :D However, I definitely suggest trying the typical German food.
  • MFPfriend
    Options

yay, I am originally from Germany :) Where exactly are you going??

Germany is awesome. My best advice is be open-minded and enjoy the different culture. Also, I always felt I can eat much healthier in germany, so I don't think you will have problems - it's all a mindset :D However, I definitely suggest trying the typical German food.

Whoo! That's awesome! I'm going to the small town of Homburg, very close to the border of France.
    I'm going to try all the food there. If I gain 30 pounds, I don't care. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity... I'm definitely not going to waste it thinking about what foods I'm eating, lol. I'm living with a host family, so I will probably be eating regular German food all the time, anyway.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If your trainer, or anyone else, needs any proof that compulsive overeating or binge eating is an eating disorder (and in fact, binge eating is the most common eating disorder) tell her to look it up. I see no need for YOU to apologize to HER, and in fact feel that she's the one who owes you an apology. Berating someone for something like that is just plain mean. Also, I find it slightly inappropriate that she took a poll of who had an eating disorder within the group. An overall discussion of things you might do such as who to talk to for help if this was an issue for you might have been more appropriate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binge_eating_disorder
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_overeating
  • sunflower0022
    sunflower0022 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I talked to my dr about this.. and over-eating IS a disorder. Some people don't want to think of it as one, but, they are so very wrong.
    A disorder is a disorder.
    Your trainer acted very unprofessional towards you, not only that, but she should know and be up to date with things.
    It is too bad, it is really people like her that make things so much harder for anyone with an eating disorder.
    Huge hugs for you to have to have gone through that.
  • bringingsexybackEDNOS
    Options
    I totally believe over eating is a disorder...but I guess it's not viewd as dangerous than people who have anarexia or bulimia. I said the same thing..I was trying the whole anarexic thing- using their tecniques to loose weight. It worked for a little bit...anyway people were yelling at me and giving me crap about it. I thought to myself "people don't yell at me for over eating and being fat! what's the deal with me barely eating and becoming skinny??" I don't get it. people apparently have double standards.
  • rwilkins
    rwilkins Posts: 8
    Options
    I agreed with your decisions to raise your hand. I consider my addiction to be food. Is that wrong? I am an addict! I also think that over-eatting is a disorder. Additionally, it was wonderful of your to admit your eatting disorder in front of others. Your brave and I am very proud of you.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    YOU ARE NOT WRONG!

1. Your "trainer" should have done a one-on-one to ask such personal questions.

2. Tell the people that cannot see their own feet, that consider 'food' to be their drug of choice, that it's not a disorder

3. Whoever gave this "trainer" the duty to interview you all together SHOULD BE SHOT!

4. Obesity is a very real, a very problematic situation in our country

5. I am hoping that you can have a good time, and NOT worry about whether the other members of the group like you. YOUR HOST FAMILY WILL LOVE YOU!! Just like all of us here on MFP do!

6. MWAAAAAAAAAAAH! :love:
  • Azadi
    Azadi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'll add my voice to the choir. Compulsive overeating and binge eating disorder are real diseases/eating disorders. I think that it is very important that you contact this person explaining this fact, sending her the appropriate links (wikipedia, overeaters anonymous, etc.) and tell her that you feel that she reacted extremely inappropriately, embarrassed you, hurt your feelings, and caused the rest of the group to mock you. She needs to know these things so that she will not do this to another poor kid in the future and seriously traumatize them!

I would further go on to say (politely of course, because one should *always* strive to be polite) that before engaging a group in such a subject, one should really have some training and knowledge about eating disorders and mental health issues, and suggest that she speak to whomever put her in this position and ask why she was not appropriately trained to do so, and suggest to them that in the future they have a professional handle this particular issue with the group.

Don't feel bad, and don't apologize. You did nothing wrong and so an apology would be either dishonest or misplaced on your part.
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    Sorry but that 'trainer' if they have any qualifications needs to be reported for saying what they did.

Making light of your issue and saying you don't have a problem isn't going to fix anything, there are many different types of disorder not just over-eating or under-eating, a friend of mine has a disorder where the only things he could eat was Ice Cream and waffles, sounds crazy right? But it was hell for him, I saw the guy try to eat something else and he just sat there and retched for an hour almost tearing up, he's been to therapy and finally has managed to add a few more things to his menu (FIsh, Chips) but still has a huge block on eating anything other than a few items. People laugh at him telling him to 'just try stuff' but he has a real mental issue with it.

No issue, how small should be laughed at or made light of.

This 'trainer' is an idiot.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Wow. I'm so sorry that happened to you. The trainer was so very wrong and not in any position to be training anyone for that matter as the others have stated.

I was in an internationally recognised treatment program for eating disorders. We were all lumped togeter. Anorexics, bulimics and binge eaters. Its real and it is not a joke. I hope that you report this behavior to someone of authority. The next person she humiliates may not have a support system like you do to vent to. The next person may give in to the disorder because they are not prepared to handle such ignorance. You never know.

Have fun in Germany:flowerforyou: