Popcorn

Options
2»

Replies

• JustAMurmur
    JustAMurmur Posts: 7,867 Member
    Options
    There was a good thread running on popcorn, last year, I think. I got an idea from it and now I buy raw popcorn, weigh out 40gr, put it in a small, plain paper sack, masking tape it shut, and micro for 4 min. Not all the kernels pop, so I weigh the unpopped and usually get 30gr popped. This is no mess, no oil and 29 cal.

Same, but I use a microwave safe bowl and plate instead of and bag. This method makes the popcorn tender from the steam. My micro only takes about 2.5 min, so keep an eye on it!

a/k/a soggy. :smile:

Not at my house.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Snowflake should have corrected that mistake above. 40g of popcorn has 160 cal anyway you cook it. With oil, add the calories from the oil. Without it don't add them.

Well-yes I should have, but I'll explain how it came about. I'm usually very precise. I live in Italy and popcorn is not a thing here (like peanuts or peanut butter). It's not easy to find, although things are changing. I decided to buy some at a market when I saw it and went into the food web site asking for raw popcorn in Italian. The only entry was the one I'm using 100g at 97 cal. Now, either Italian popcorn is VERY low calorie, or it was a mistake in the food base. I didn't catch it because I've been here 32 yrs and haven't been eating popcorn. So, so sorry, hope you'll all forgive me--especially the OP, whom I confused.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Snowflake should have corrected that mistake above. 40g of popcorn has 160 cal anyway you cook it. With oil, add the calories from the oil. Without it don't add them.

Well-yes I should have, but I'll explain how it came about. I'm usually very precise. I live in Italy and popcorn is not a thing here (like peanuts or peanut butter). It's not easy to find, although things are changing. I decided to buy some at a market when I saw it and went into the food web site asking for raw popcorn in Italian. The only entry was the one I'm using 100g at 97 cal. Now, either Italian popcorn is VERY low calorie, or it was a mistake in the food base. I didn't catch it because I've been here 32 yrs and haven't been eating popcorn. So, so sorry, hope you'll all forgive me--especially the OP, whom I confused.

I'd just like to add that I can eat 32g of hard durum grain bread + 14 gr of Philadelphia Light for 109 cals which is much more satisfying than popcorn and less than 160 cal. So, I guess I'm going to give it up. :)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    That all you need. I love it. All kernels pop for me. Zero oil.
    Popcorn Popper

61PxFxHYfyL._SL1500_.jpg

Is the cover vented on this? All kernels pop?

I use the brown lunch bag, a lot of kernels left unpopped.

Yesterday, I tried the bowl with the plate over it. Worked great and left less kernels unpopped. Game changer for me, but if the bowel on Amazon pops all the kernels, I’m in. On my way to Amazon to check it out.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    That all you need. I love it. All kernels pop for me. Zero oil.
    Popcorn Popper

61PxFxHYfyL._SL1500_.jpg

Is the cover vented on this? All kernels pop?

I use the brown lunch bag, a lot of kernels left unpopped.

Yesterday, I tried the bowl with the plate over it. Worked great and left less kernels unpopped. Game changer for me, but if the bowel on Amazon pops all the kernels, I’m in. On my way to Amazon to check it out.

I have a similar product by HOTPOP - think it may be exactly the same sans the branding. Here it is on Amazon. It does not have a vented top. I usually pop about 90 grams of unpopped kernels and it usually leaves behind about 3 grams unpopped.