Options
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    I'm from Kent in the south east :smile:
    sounds very posh
  • Dazzabean
    Dazzabean Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    j0d13mcc wrote: »
    Currently in London but from Wales - I was beginning to think everyone was from the US!

Not everyone
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Dazzabean wrote: »
    sounds very posh

You have clearly never visited Kent :lol:
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    sounds very posh

I have often confused the Essex and Kent accent....in women, mainly.
  • gcoulsey
    gcoulsey Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Slh7712 wrote: »
    Hey guys....are any of you from the UK? If so where you from? I'm Leeds

Lincolnshire Wolds, the hilly bit, not the flat bit. 😊👍🏻
  • ghudson92
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    sounds very posh

There is a real mixture of dialects and accents in Kent. I grew up in a small village where people tend to speak quite nicely, then in the next town over people were apparently not taught how to pronounce their t's or h's. The main thing however is the majority of people are pleasant :smile:
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Cheerio! Hello I am from da U.K., innit. Awright geeezzaa! Do yew mean United Kingdom, officially da United Kingdom ov Great Blighty an' Northern Ireland but mawer commonly known as da UK awer Blighty, is a sovereign coun'ry lyin' off da north-western coast ov da European mainland? Blimey! The UK what includes da island ov Great Blighty, da north-eastern part ov da island ov Ireland an' many smaller islands? Nuff said, yeah?

Blimey! I love 'ow I always find da United Kingdom 'as a temperate climate, wiv plentiful rainfall all year round. The temperature varies wiv da seasons seldom droppin' below −11 °C (12 °F) awer risin' above 35 °C (95 °F). The prevailin' wind is from da sowf-west an' bears frequen' spells ov mild an' wet wearfer from da Atlantic Ocean, althuff da eastern parts are mostly sheltered from dis wind since da majori'y ov da rain falls over da western regions da eastern parts are therefawer da driest.

I love 'ow Atlantic currents, warmed by da Gulf Stream, brin' mild win'ers; especially in da west where win'ers are wet an' even mawer so over 'igh ground. Summers are warmest in da sowf-east ov England, bein' closest ter da European mainland, an' coolest in da north. Heavy snowfall can occur in win'er an' early sprin' on 'igh ground, an' occasionally se'les ter great depf away from da 'ills.

Gawdon Bennet! Have a great day an' I wish yew all da best. OK?

Is this Dick van *kitten*?

oh - how quaint its starred out the name of Mary Poppins side kick!
  • nooboots
    Options
    Im from London but we now live on the south coast
  • nooboots
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    sounds very posh

There is a real mixture of dialects and accents in Kent. I grew up in a small village where people tend to speak quite nicely, then in the next town over people were apparently not taught how to pronounce their t's or h's. The main thing however is the majority of people are pleasant :smile:

When we moved down here (east Kent), I went around initially wondering why so many people from norfolk or the west country had moved here.

It took some research to show me that actually there is (and was) a Kentish accent which sounds a bit yokel, like the west country/norfolk type accents sound to others. It turns out that actually the whole country sounded a bit like that in the old days and only in the past 60 odd years that Kent/Essex/Sussex have taken on more of Londoner tones and accents.

So when I see a period film/play now and people are all talking posh I know its rubbish because anyone not from cities or London would have talked all yokel instead. Way way back even Londoners spoke like that apparently.
  • ghudson92
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »
    When we moved down here (east Kent), I went around initially wondering why so many people from norfolk or the west country had moved here.

It took some research to show me that actually there is (and was) a Kentish accent which sounds a bit yokel, like the west country/norfolk type accents sound to others. It turns out that actually the whole country sounded a bit like that in the old days and only in the past 60 odd years that Kent/Essex/Sussex have taken on more of Londoner tones and accents.

So when I see a period film/play now and people are all talking posh I know its rubbish because anyone not from cities or London would have talked all yokel instead. Way way back even Londoners spoke like that apparently.

Hmmm :confused: I don't know that I've ever heard the West Country twang myself. Perhaps because my family on my mum's side are from Yeovil and I'm used to their strong accents? I'm in North Kent which is a twenty minute drive from London so we tend to have a lot of London-esque accents around here.
  • EnglishmanInMichigan
    EnglishmanInMichigan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hampshire
  • nooboots
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »

Hmmm :confused: I don't know that I've ever heard the West Country twang myself. Perhaps because my family on my mum's side are from Yeovil and I'm used to their strong accents? I'm in North Kent which is a twenty minute drive from London so we tend to have a lot of London-esque accents around here.

Certainly Ive noticed it round small villages like near Dover or Canterbury, not in the towns but villages. I dont think you would hear it in North Kent
  • clockyer89xx
    clockyer89xx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Kent :)
  • lorri71
    lorri71 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi there to all from UK. I am from London's East end and I don't have an accent like Cee 134! 😄 we don't all eat jellied eels or live in Albert Square. Good luck to all on MFP and nice to meet you all.
  • gusbob_47
    gusbob_47 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Glasgow
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in Wrexham, moved back there when I retired. Lived most of my working life in Exeter.
  • MDChin
    MDChin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Essex here 👋🏽
  • laurenjt123
    laurenjt123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Swansea 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿