Buying smaller sized clothing to work towards

Options
Wondering if anyone else has been daft like me and bought a bunch of clothes in their goal size? The initial idea was really motivating until I saw the waist of one of the skirts and thought, "blimey!" I hasten to add that I didn't spend too much- Ebay was my friend. I'm a UK size 14 aiming for a size 10. I'm now 9 lbs down but still firmly in 14 territory.

Has it worked for any of you? Basic maths ie keeping a deficit, would mean I should get there with time and patience. I'm just balking a bit at the task ahead...

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i bought some trousers on the basis that they would fit 'in a couple of pounds time'

they are the most ill fitting article of clothing i own! if i'd just waited and tried them on at my current size i wouldn't have bought them in the first place!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My "collection" consists of about 5 different sizes. I keep the largest outfit (for 170 kg, 375 pounds) prominently displayed in the bedroom so every time I walk by I can cringe. Currently nearly one size down - lost 30 kg (65 pounds) so far.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't like doing that. My body shape is kind of peculiar and not everything fits properly, plus my shape keeps changing. I don't want to be excited about something only for it to fit poorly. I have some clothes from when I was thinner that I sometimes try on, but I haven't bought anything full price specifically for that purpose. Sometimes I buy smaller things if I see something I like on sale or at a thrift shop and it's not available in my size, but I've never gone as extreme as buying for a weight goal, just things that kind of fit but are tight.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I buy things that already fit me, but would "fit even better" if I lost another couple of pounds. Sometimes, not by choice necessarily.

For example, I needed a simple mid-calf skirt. I found one, but the only size available was extra-small. The thing is, incredibly, I could get into it without looking like a sausage bursting out of its casing. It made my stomach bulge a bit, but with a looser/longer top, it was much less noticeable.

I bought the skirt. (Note: the store has other locations. I was in a shopping mall. In other words, I could've gone to a different store or shopped online for the skirt in a small or tried another branch of the same chain). Partly I was giddy that the extra-small actually (kinda!) fit. Partly incentive, since I really need the skirt for mid-April and was shopping early. Sort of, "Ideally, I'll be a few pounds lighter in 2 months, but even if I stay the same, it'll still look okay, just not as good as if I'm a few pounds lighter).

I wouldn't buy an extra-small if I'm currently a medium/large.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I learned that losing weight does not mean the thing will fit. Sure, I can put my body into it, but it might still look terrible. Some things just don't look good anywhere but the hanger. I would not recommend it unless the piece of clothing is just a tiny bit tight and flattering despite that.
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ah, well. Bit late now...I'll just have to cross my fingers that they'll fit...Luckily I didn't spend too much as it was all nearly new.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    no i buy clothes for now. going shopping for new clothes can be in part reward for achieving my goal (though not entirely a reward as I hate clothes shopping at any size but there is some joy to going in and getting smaller sizes at least).

many styles still look bad (not as good?) on my body shape even being smaller anyway (and always fun when those are the big styles for the next few years!)
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I should add that I've only bought brands that have fitted previously when smaller. Gap does the best bottoms for my hips and bottom. I had a pair of trousers from them that are size 10 I bought the one, brief time I was a 10 and the fit was great.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Pickle107 wrote: »
    I should add that I've only bought brands that have fitted previously when smaller. Gap does the best bottoms for my hips and bottom. I had a pair of trousers from them that are size 10 I bought the one, brief time I was a 10 and the fit was great.

If it's a pair you like but just in a smaller size, that probably works much better! I was thinking it was like something you had admired but had never purchased.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    jUST BOUGHT A CRAP LOAD OF CLOTHES AND HAD ALL MY PANTS FROM 36 DOWN(38's were too big) taken in to size 32. My wardrobe instantly went from 3 wearable pants to 19.