Losing weight after pregnancy

Options
I recently delivered my son 5 days ago, any tips on how to regulate my eating from when I was pregnant? Went from eating a lot, constantly to now wanting to watch my calorie intake.

Replies

• PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I totally understand wanting to get right to losing the pregnancy weight. I’m 3 weeks postpartum and have lost 10lbs after having an 8 lb baby 🤦🏼‍♀️
    He is my fourth, so I know my body takes time to regulate hormones, flush water weight, and just heal.
    I’m not sure if your breast or bottle feeding, but try and give your body some time to heal. If you are breastfeeding, please don’t limit your calories below maintainence as your milk can suffer.
    Be patient and kind to yourself (trust me, I’m trying my best to take my own advice!)
    Congrats!
  • jayniedecicco
    jayniedecicco Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other ladies. Take your time healing. Don't count calories, just take care with your food choices for a little while and then work up to worrying about calories. I had trouble eating while pregnant so after I had my baby girl, I ate... a lot. A lot of carbs and not the good kind. I wish I would have eaten better. Not less just better. (She's 4 mo now)
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding? If so then I'd eat at maintenance or slightly above and let breast feeding create the deficit. If not then it's as simple as doing what you would to lose weight normally. Remember though you're going to lose some weight in the coming weeks as your body goes back to normal. How much depends on the person.

I am breastfeeding but not exclusively because I don't produce enough.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    It's only been 5 days! Your hormones are through the roof right now and sleep deprivation, plus breastfeeding if you are doing so, can take a huge toll on your body. Also keep in mind that you are still healing and will naturally continue to lose weight up to 6-8 weeks postpartum as your body continues to get rid of excess fluids and swelling. Please please please talk with your doctor before diving into weight loss this soon after giving birth.

Thank you. I actually did talk to my doctor and get cleared. She prescribed me phentermine but I don't want to take it plus you shouldn't take it and breastfeed.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    bllaura10 wrote: »
    I’ve had two babies myself and my advise to you is don’t worry about that at all yet. Give your body at least 6-8 weeks to recover/heal from delivery. After that time I’d start watching my diet/exercise etc. I started with my LO about 3 months pp. cut yourself some slack mama you’ll get there.

Thank you I'm trying. I've been cleared to diet but not exercise yet. I know I should cut myself some slack but it's hard and discouraging to see myself in the mirror even though it's only been a week!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    aes1219 wrote: »
    I'm 2.5 months postpartum and down 40 lbs from when I delivered (I gained 19 lbs during pregnancy). I was able to start exercising a week and a half postpartum (approved by my doctor) and have been eating healthy. The weight just seems to be falling off. Everyone is different though. I would just try and eat healthy, take care of yourself and your sweet little baby. Exercise if that is something you enjoy (when you are cleared to exercise). And give youself grace. You just grew and delivered a tiny human which is pretty amazing!

I was 125 before pregnancy which took me months to get to that weight and then ended pregnancy at 180 and I'm currently at 156. Lost quite a bit but still have a lot to go to get to prepregnancy weight. I've been cleared to diet, doctor even prescribed phentermine to help jumpstart my weight loss but I refuse to take that and you can't take it and breastfeed anyways.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    PennyP312 wrote: »
    I totally understand wanting to get right to losing the pregnancy weight. I’m 3 weeks postpartum and have lost 10lbs after having an 8 lb baby 🤦🏼‍♀️
    He is my fourth, so I know my body takes time to regulate hormones, flush water weight, and just heal.
    I’m not sure if your breast or bottle feeding, but try and give your body some time to heal. If you are breastfeeding, please don’t limit your calories below maintainence as your milk can suffer.
    Be patient and kind to yourself (trust me, I’m trying my best to take my own advice!)
    Congrats!

I do bottle and breast. This is my second so I know I don't produce enough milk for him to suffice. I lost about 24 pounds so far but gained over 50
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Girl! NO ONE looks great after just having had a baby. Those pics you see of celebrities who bounce back immediately are airbrushed 99% of the time. Focus on being healthy for you and your baby, not weight loss, right now. Often enough the pounds come off on their own in time, and if not, you can focus on weight loss later. One week after having my daughter I was still in maternity pants, and at two weeks, and three weeks... but slowly the pounds came off and my normal clothes began to fit. I didn’t do anything special... I went for short walks beginning around 3 weeks postpartum and began a postpartum-geared workout at six weekend pp once cleared by my doctor. Other than that I tried to incorporate lots of veggies in my diet but didn’t restrict myself. There is no magic trick and it feels unfair, but your body just did something so amazing! Give it time to heal and love the process. I know that’s hard to hear because waiting isn’t easy but it’s so important in this case.
  • f1tforever
    f1tforever Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    One week! After 3 babies, please give yourself time . I wouldnt look at the scale and just focus on healing from birth and bonding with your new baby until your 6 week appointment. Your body is going through a temoundous change getting your organs all back in place and with feeding/sleep schedule off. Give yourself at least 6 weeks and congratulations
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Girl! NO ONE looks great after just having had a baby. Those pics you see of celebrities who bounce back immediately are airbrushed 99% of the time. Focus on being healthy for you and your baby, not weight loss, right now. Often enough the pounds come off on their own in time, and if not, you can focus on weight loss later. One week after having my daughter I was still in maternity pants, and at two weeks, and three weeks... but slowly the pounds came off and my normal clothes began to fit. I didn’t do anything special... I went for short walks beginning around 3 weeks postpartum and began a postpartum-geared workout at six weekend pp once cleared by my doctor. Other than that I tried to incorporate lots of veggies in my diet but didn’t restrict myself. There is no magic trick and it feels unfair, but your body just did something so amazing! Give it time to heal and love the process. I know that’s hard to hear because waiting isn’t easy but it’s so important in this case.

Definitely hard to wait. I've been looking forward to not being pregnant anymore because of a lot of medical issues but also because I couldn't wait to not be huge. It's hard because I gained over 50 pounds while I was pregnant. A lot water retention but a lot because I was on bedrest and unable to keep active. I was 125 before pregnancy and ended at 180. Currently at 156. Definitely hard to wait because for some reason I did just expect to return to normal afte a couple days which I know wasn't gonna be the case but that's what I told myself blindly.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    f1tforever wrote: »
    One week! After 3 babies, please give yourself time . I wouldnt look at the scale and just focus on healing from birth and bonding with your new baby until your 6 week appointment. Your body is going through a temoundous change getting your organs all back in place and with feeding/sleep schedule off. Give yourself at least 6 weeks and congratulations

Thank you. I'll definitely wait to get back into it, my doctor did clear me to diet but I'll give it a few!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Start with small things. Having fresh fruit and veggies on hand to snack on while you are bonding with your new little one. It will take time to lose the baby weight so give yourself some grace here.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    Options
    Your non fat (water weight due to baby accoutrements) loss continues still. At the very least for the next few weeks.

You literally do not know yet how much of what you weigh today is going to be staying with you.

Congratulations on the baby but please be patient little bit.

Wait until at least all the parts have gone back to their new positions and your ligaments have recovered and your hormones returned back to somewhat normal before fully evaluating where you're at!!!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Were you overweight to begin with, or did you gain a lot?

I gained 19 1/2 with my first and 21 1/2 with my 2nd. I was 108 when I got pregnant and kept 5 lbs from each baby. I wasn't big but it wasn't easy to lose either.