Hard time eating all 1200 calories daily

Options
Yurippe
Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
I see this topic posted often. I find it very confusing for several reasons.

1.The vast majority of people on this site are here to lose weight. The vast majority of them gained weight by eating too much originally. These same people now have a difficult time eating 1200 calories a day?

2. What happens when they reach their goal weight and have to increase their calories to maintain their weight?

If this is coming across as judgemental that is not at all my intention. I'm honestly confused and concerned.

Replies

• anij67
    anij67 Posts: 21
    Options
    I also don't understand that! I hope someone can shed some light on the subject for us. I don't mean to judge either....share your secrets!!!!!!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I am not one who gained weight but I think most people have trouble eating healthy and staying within goal - at first. Actually - I did not lose for two weeks due to water weight - but that does not count! Then, why we love this site, we learn more about exercise and healthy eating and what works for some and what works for our bodies.

When I reach my goal, I am going to continue this journey of healthy eating and exercising - but probably not 6 days a week like now. I will also pay more attention when I gain a few lbs. and do something immediately VS letting it all pile up again!

Best to yu!
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it is for people who drastically change their lifestyle. Some people go from eating a gallon of ice cream washed down with a 2-liter of soda to eating salads.

When I first started, I went from one extreme to the other.... I gave up EVERYTHING and ate salads pretty much all day long (quite boring, lol). But I think as people go on, they find a happy medium where they get all their nutrients, but not eating so many calories that they can't lose weight.
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i think the problem is before is people used to eat whatever they wanted, so the end result of being overweight is what happened.

now they've changed their eating habits and do not want to eat whatever they want because they know the end result.

for me, i eat 1200 calories only if i dont work out for the day, if i do work out i most likely need about 1800. but there are plenty of days that i eat so much low calorie meals that i end up having 600 calories or so i need to eat, but if im not hungry... what then?

i dont drink anything other than water so its not like im going to fill those calories up with anything other than actual food. no candy, no chips, no garbage.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other bloggers. It was easy pulling up to the drive thru at mcdonalds and consuming 1200 plus calories in one sitting. But because eating healthy is so low in calories, I too find it hard to consume 1200 calories a day, and even more on the days that I exercise. Since I've been a member of MFP I have, thanks to all the support, been finding creative ways to get my calories in. For instance, having a scoop or two of whey protien powder with water or whipping up a smoothie. That way you're getting the calories you need, plus protien. Or after dinner I'll have an ounce of almonds or walnuts.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    For those that have agreed that they have a hard time eating all 1200 calories, have you thought about maintenance yet? What will you do when you have to eat more than 1200 calories a day to maintain your weight?
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    For me, unless i plan it out it is hard to eat 1200 calories- Healthy calories-- as many have posted before.i could easily grab a bag of chips, or some ice cream or a myriad of other options to fill the nubmers, but if i'm only gonna eat 1200 calories a day then i want them to be actually giving my body what it needs so i have energy to live, take care of my kids work out etc....

I also have said i've only eaten 900 calories and I'm full, but I can tell you why this is, i work out from 2-4 usually i'm only hungry for a short period if at all after that, i know i still need to eat, but that is where the i only ate 900 cals and i'm full,

what i have done to combat both of these is plan my meals mon-fri the night before, so I know what i'm going to eat and when, the problem i have is 'eating" the work out cals back. I don't know how many cals i'm going to burn on a a given day, it could be as little as 150 and as many as 1000 (alothough once i burned more than that) and eating that many calories back that late in the day doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
  • anij67
    Options
    Thanks! That's all very interesting.....I guess my problem is that I have yet to find 'healthy' foods I like and can eat every day without eating the 'bad stuff'!! Thanks again.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    Options
    For those that have agreed that they have a hard time eating all 1200 calories, have you thought about maintenance yet? What will you do when you have to eat more than 1200 calories a day to maintain your weight?

Planning- and instead of the low cal snacks, i will eat two breakfests, like when
    i was doing the swc i knew i would be buring a lot of calories and had to eat a good portion back as my goal was over 1200 my entire daily limit.

so instead of just having a piece of fruit for a snack I had my oat meal for breakfest and then yougurt fruit and nuts for my snack and another higher calorie after noon snack and a boost to drink right after I worked out.

its just a matter of prior planning- at least for me
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    Options
    I also don't understand that! I hope someone can shed some light on the subject for us. I don't mean to judge either....share your secrets!!!!!!

my dairy is open to the public check it out for some ideas if you want...... i'm not perfect by anymeans but i think i'm doing a pretty good job, the weight isnt' coming off yet, so i might have something i'm not doing quite right.
  • xxgoriexx
    xxgoriexx Posts: 39
    Options
    I've never really tracked my calorie intake before, and once I started doing it, I realized that I usually fall short ... sometimes REALLY short of 1200. I'm simply just not a hungry person. D:
  • anij67
    Options
    I guess for me it's the kind of food I have been eating.....instead of hamburgers and coke I need to think of more healthy foods. I have to remember that food is fuel. I read that on here and keep telling myself that to help me not to snack on junk.
  • curvychicky
    Options
    I also have to point out that for some people, eating 1200 calories is not a problem. It's the fact that they don't move at all. If you are completely inactive and just eat, you will pack on pounds slowly. I was on bed rest for 6 months, and I ate the same things I ate while I was working out, but I still gained the weight back. You need to be in a calorie deficit for true weight and fat loss. It is easy to cut calories and lose a little weight but for fat loss, you need a form of exercise.

Also many healthy foods are low caloric so it's hard when eat to your (lower) caloric needs. I find when I cook i just add extra calories with veggies etc.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I have many days where I have to plan to hit 1200ish as well. I think that part of my problem with *gaining* weight is that I was either eating too much or too little... but never the right amount. I know that I've made a lot of changes (not drinking much besides water, not eating out as much and healthier choices when I do, etc.). I also *love* fresh fruits and veggies, which are low calorie, so I am filling up on those this summer. I think most of my times I've hit closer to goal over the past few weeks (which is just over 1500 for me) that I have done that by eating not-so-healthy choices.

And I've thought about what I'll do when I hit maintenance (a LONG time from now). I think that my maintenance won't be so much above what I am eating now because I am so short (5'1"). I am guessing I'll figure that out along the way! Right now I'm just trying to lose a little at a time and gain some healthier habits along the way. :) I know one that I'm working on is eating a good breakfast (which has been lacking the last few days).

I've definitely had a few off weeks but my food diary is open as well and I am open to suggestions!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Your question: (still don't know how to do the quote thing correctly)

Answer:

When you are on maintenance you are allowed more flexibility. Believe me, I can eat more than 1200 calories if I am not eating all low-fat, low-calorie, sugar-free - like I am to LOSE the weight. The reason people have trouble with the 1200 calories is that we are exercising like maniacs! You will have more than 1200 calories to consume and still you should exercise at least 3 days a week - which is less than my 6 days right now.
  • sassycassi
    sassycassi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    People get overweight over time by overeating on a regular basis. I lost my job and broke up with my boyfriend, moved back in with my parents, and couldn't find a job for 6 months, so all I did was sit around and mope and eat...I gained about 30 pounds. I didn't watch what I ate....chocolate ice cream for breakfast? Check. Bag of potato chips for lunch? Check. Pants not fitting? Check. I went over 1200 calories on a daily basis because I didn't care what I ate, or how much. Now that I keep track of EVERYTHING, it's easier to not go over.

My calorie intake daily is also supposed to be 1200. I work out for 45 minutes Mon-Fri and do a double workout on Saturdays. On workdays, I burn at least 250 calories on just the treadmill alone (I also do leg press, leg extension, leg curl, seated row, lat pull, tricep and bicep machines--I haven't figured out the calories burned by these yet). I started working out in April, didn't find MFP until June, and didn't do my first login here until a week or so ago. But since April I have lost 29 pounds. This is how I did it: I started by going to the gym in the morning, then I would have a Slim Fast meal bar for breakfast once I got to work. These are actually not bad-tasting, so I didn't mind. Then I would have a Slim Fast snack bar a couple hours later. For lunch it's an Atkins Advantage Dark Chocolate Shake (I don't follow either program, that's just what tastes good to me). Then I would have another snack bar in the afternoon, and a "regular" dinner. Dinner was harder, because I had to actually figure out serving sizes, and try not to go back for seconds or over-do it. Now I've started actually having a Plain Mini Bagel with half a serving of Peanut Butter for breakfast, no morning snack, an Atkins shake for lunch, sometimes a snack bar in the afternoon. It doesn't really sound like much (people at work make jokes about me only drinking my lunch) and this lets me splurge a little for dinner. I too have problems sometimes eating all 1200 calories, but I don't worry about it. Probably at least twice a week I have plenty of calories left over. I don't try to come up with stuff just to fill my quota of calories. If I have extra, it's no big deal.

As for maintenance, when I finally get to my goal, I'll probably cut back my gym time to 3-4 days a week instead of 6. If you just continue to watch serving sizes, you should be fine. And MFP will tell you how many calories to consume to maintain your weight, which will help. I haven't really changed WHAT I eat, I'm just watching HOW MUCH of it I'm having. I'll still splurge on McD's or Taco Bell every once in a while...I know it's not the healthiest stuff out there, but depriving yourself is worse. If I have the extra calories, then I don't stress about it.

What I'm doing is working for me, so I can't complain!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    you really need to eat your 1200 calories at least if you don"t your bodys metablism slows way down :wink: lets say your eating only 700 calories a day.your body will slow way down to hold on to the nutrientes it needs as soon as you eat 800 calories because your body metablism has slowed way down it dose not need that exetra 100 calories and it will store it as fat................:laugh: that is why they tell you not to go under 1200 cals because thats the losest calories you can be on and still keep your metablism and thyroid healthy i can"t wait to reach that point where i have a hard time eating all my calories. i know its just around the corner or maybe the next hundred miles
  • fozzy33
    fozzy33 Posts: 72
    Options
    You guys eating 1200 calories a day??? WHY???
    That is more than liklely HURTING you more than it is helping you. What is your BMI? Mine is 1345 and I have read from TO many sources that you need to AT LEAST eat your BMI back!

I dont know if its just me but I eat AT LEAST 1600 calories a day sometimes 1800 and this is if I dont work out.....I eat anywhere from 2100 to 2300 calories on the days I work out......

Its not junk either is all lean meats, veggies, protein shakes etc....

I would really research and look into eating more than 1200 calories a day...I did because I was doing that when I first joined MFP and I wasnt losing ANYTHING untill I bumped up to 1600/1800 a day.

Maybe its my job. I walk 5-7 miles per day at work. 5 days a week. Then I come home and work out. I workout 5 days a week and do anywhere from a 400-600 calorie burn per workout.

I have lost 77 pounds since joining MFP and I have lost a total of 97 pounds since October 09. So obviously what im doing is working for me LOL

I would REALLY looking into eating more than 1200 calories a day...you guys are scaring me with that LOL

Michelle
  • marntz
    marntz Posts: 5
    Options
    I am someone who had a hard time eating 1200 calories a day. In fact some days I would only eat 700 calories and feel totally full! I actually gained my weight that way. My metabolism is SOOOO slow that I gain weight like crazy. I joined this site to lose weight and when I started tracking calories I realized that my problem was under-eating so I starting tracking calories to make sure I was eating enough. This website really helped because I was able to track calories and then talk to my doctor about it. Turns out I've had a health condition most of my life that caused my eating issues. Very interesting! I'm doing better now but because I have such a slow metabolism I still have to be aware of what I'm eating and make sure I'm getting enough. Maybe that will answer some of your questions? :smile:
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    I was looking through the replies and I don't think anyone mentioned this. Water was a definite factor for me. Once I started drinking enough H2O, it completely kills my appetite. Once I upped my intensity with my exercise, I haven't had a problem. My appetite kicked in and I'm in a happy place right now with my 1320 cals. At first it was really hard just to get to 1200 and I found it odd as well. :)