Hitting protein target

Options
2»

Replies

• kytdkyt
    kytdkyt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me a different protein goal every day. My protein is set at 40 percent of calories, and my protein goal changes every time I earn exercise calories. How do I change this to always give me the same protein goal every day, based on 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    kytdkyt wrote: »
    MFP gives me a different protein goal every day. My protein is set at 40 percent of calories, and my protein goal changes every time I earn exercise calories. How do I change this to always give me the same protein goal every day, based on 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight?

Yes that's the problem with setting macro goals in percentages, I got a protein goal of 327g one particular day due to an all day cycle ride.

Just keep your minimum goal in grams in mind.

I think the paid version allows you to set goals in grams but personally that was never worth paying for.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I think the paid version allows you to set goals in grams but personally that was never worth paying for.

It does allow you to set goals in grams in the premium version, however, as you are logging it still will up your daily goals by whatever the percentage mix may be when you are adding exercise calories.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    when exercise throw off the numbers, I just double check the next day for base level gram info by macro. since nothing has been logged there it's the "clean" info.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    After the first couple weeks I never thought of my goals as percentages, but as grams (and the only one I strongly focused on was protein). Made it easier. I hate the percentage approach when you are adding back exercise calories.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    High protein is really important! I am pretty overweight at this point, I have about 60 lbs to lose and am on a doctor supervised plan. My goal from him and my nutritionist is 30g of protein PER MEAL. This is pretty hard to hit as you can imagine, so anytime I have trouble I add a protein shake in. My go-to is Sparta Nutrition. It's affordable, low carb, and low calorie. If I run out unexpectedly, I grab Premier Protein. Mix with water, let it sit in the fridge or freezer a little while to thicken up and on your way. I start everyday with one! Best of luck!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kytdkyt wrote: »

This is why I find it more helpful to think of my protein goal in terms of grams, not calories. You can't set MFP this way (at least not without premium), but it's relatively easy for me to figure out how much I want to get each day and then remember that number.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Just recently had to dramatically up my protein intake, and that had added a new layer of difficulty to this all. If you're trying to remain low calorie, egg whites and canned tuna are incredibly useful. You're absolutely going to need shakes too depending on how much you're trying to eat. I'm trying to get 150 grams in a day, and at 1200-1600 calories, it's a chore haha
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Dannon Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt. And I don’t like Greek yogurt. 110-120 calories per 5.3 oz (depending on the flavorj, 15 grams of protein, 0 fat and 6 grams of fiber. It’s flavored, and sweetened with Stevia leaf extract. I just had the vanilla mixed with my favorite cereal (Heritage Flakes) for a 20 grams of protein breakfast.
  • mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Carski60 wrote: »
    Hi y'all, I'm new here. Am having trouble hitting my protein also. Thanks for the suggestions, totally wasn't thinking about Greek yogurt.

Light & Fit greek yogurt ftw if you can get it in your area. Low calories, tastes good and excellent source of protein.