Food anxiety

:# So I'm by no means an expert, but I just wanted to know if others relate. I'm learning to be better, but I used to borderline obsess over eating healthy. Not only that lot of situations related to food could totally ruin my day. I would miss social events simply if I knew people were eating. Not because i didn't want to go, but because i knew they would eat unhealthy. Simple things like eating a food without knowing the calories would send me into a "screw it" mentality and I would binge eat. Well I'm working on getting better and know u peeps aren't alone if u relate. One thing I found to help, is that, like generalized or social anxiety, exposure helps. Learning that eating something without knowing the calories or eating "unhealthy" foods isn't gonna make me immediately gain is a learning process for me! But I've learned that forcing myself into doing these things little bits at a time has really helped.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Yes, I used to stress at family buffets when I first started logging but learned to relax and enjoy :)
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    It's certainly a journey for all of us. But it gets easier. Today I didn't even blink when turning down a piece of office cake cut especially for me. I don't think I could have done that 6 or even 3 months ago.
  • ColeSlaw1234
    ColeSlaw1234 Posts: 47 Member
    noodlesno wrote: »
    I can 100% relate. When people ask me what's been the toughest bit of losing 100lbs, 100% it has been the mental fight with anxiety over food and over exercise.

What I have done (I am no expert or have it figured out btw);

1) I have actually done a short course in CBT to equip me with the tools to learn to cope
    2) I take diet breaks (mostly over holidays/vacations) I need a week at least every 3/4 months were I mentally step back and stop obsessing
    3) I told my closest family member that I struggle to not over control. They keep a eye on me and make sure I am ok

You sound like you already recognised you find it hard, so look for your ways of coping. Couldn't recommend getting some external help if it is at all possible in your situation.

Good luck with it all and feel free to drop me a message if you every want to talk.

It helps knowing people relate! I'm working on being better for sure. My biggest thing to help me is purposely using "unhealthy" foods once a week and working my way from there! Comforting knowing I'm not the only one out there 😜
  • ColeSlaw1234
    sarabushby wrote: »
    I can totally relate!
    It stresses me out that I have to attend business dinners/events/courses etc where I know there will be unhealthy foods served, often buffets, with huge levels of temptation, no calorie information and also a feeling of peer pressure to drink alcohol too. Made even worse that the schedule is usually jam packed such that it’s difficult to fit in a workout to offset the additional calories.
    It irks me that essentially my work is causing me to lose out on 1-weeks of weight loss.
    Granted I know that it’s all ultimately within my own will power and control but it sure makes things 100% more difficult.

Yah even though I know my thoughts regarding food are not normal. It definitely doesn't always make it easier. Thanks for sharing becauss i take comfort knowing others relate 😁 (although at the same time I know it sucks being in the same boat!)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I definitely relate, and would argue that a large amount of my energy has gone into staying on an even keel when it comes to keeping myself in a mind state where I don't let my eating preferences govern my whole life. I've had mixed success, for the record. I'm a detail oriented, rule follower type and tend to impose quite high standards on myself for effort and performance in pretty much everything, so having food tracking and workout goals turn ugly wasn't out of the question. I have actually leaned in to the strictness because imposing that kind of order helps with feelings of control and it can all be a comfort to govern tightly when you have other things in life that are stressful. All that said, I couldn't have got to the healthier point I am without having gone through it all and having the understanding on the other end. MFP or whatever you use to track, and your fitness devices, they are just tools, and only mostly accurate ones at best, and they can't tell you that the way the wind is blowing today means it's ok to give yourself a break if you need it.

I dieted down 40lbs over 8-9 months and have been maintaining for 2 years. This last week I tracked not a thing and I am doing well.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Last fall after I finished losing the weight I wanted to lose and shifted to maintenance, I realized I was getting really anxious over food and calories remaining. I took a logging break during maintenance and just focused on making sure my weight stayed the same (this worked for me for 6 months, until I decided I wanted to lose a few more pounds). I suffer from GAD and I also started therapy around the same time, mostly for unrelated stuff.

Therapy has helped my anxiety across all areas in my life. I'm now back to losing, back to logging, and not anxious about it at all.
  • ColeSlaw1234
    I definitely relate, and would argue that a large amount of my energy has gone into staying on an even keel when it comes to keeping myself in a mind state where I don't let my eating preferences govern my whole life. I've had mixed success, for the record. I'm a detail oriented, rule follower type and tend to impose quite high standards on myself for effort and performance in pretty much everything, so having food tracking and workout goals turn ugly wasn't out of the question. I have actually leaned in to the strictness because imposing that kind of order helps with feelings of control and it can all be a comfort to govern tightly when you have other things in life that are stressful. All that said, I couldn't have got to the healthier point I am without having gone through it all and having the understanding on the other end. MFP or whatever you use to track, and your fitness devices, they are just tools, and only mostly accurate ones at best, and they can't tell you that the way the wind is blowing today means it's ok to give yourself a break if you need it.

I dieted down 40lbs over 8-9 months and have been maintaining for 2 years. This last week I tracked not a thing and I am doing well.

I feel like it does give me a sense of control in my hella chaotic life. At the same time I have to learn to not let it completely control me either. Also congrats on ur success ^__^
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,143 Member
    I found that when I was applying a high deficit (average of 695Cal a day for year) I was much more anxious and agitated about not going over and knowing exactly what I was eating.

The not going over I have deliberately counteracted by always going over an artificially lowered goal. All my days are now red. I do know that if they're red by around 3 to 500 I should be maintaining or have very small weight changes. I'm basically relying on my weight trend for feedback.

The knowing what I'm eating, I still do. Mainly so that I can fit the maximum amount of treats while still eating more than a minimum of the good stuff.

It helps that due to gender, deliberate effort, and resultant activity, I've lost and maintain while eating 2.5K+
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    I relate
    And partly because I think our food system is so messed up in America. Many things are terrible for our health and marketed to us everywhere so people think those foods are normal, but they aren’t and are not good for us

I do not like eating out and do avoid it sometimes, but what I’ve done to maintain a social life and eat the healthy way I want to eat is
    1) have a couple go-to items that are on most restaurant menus I’ll be ok eating knowing the food is not going to kill me... today (salad with dressing on the side, steamed veggies, fries, eat the burger and not the bun, etc...) i try to be pragmatic about my food - if it tastes good cool, but mostly I’m looking to fuel my amazing body with the best quality food I can find! :)
    2) got a therapist (i need someone to check my crazy hah)
    3) stop being so self centered - I found a lot of my anxiety around food and social situations was thinking people actually cared what I ate or drank (I don’t drink alcohol). No one gives a *kitten*
    So I do me. It’s not the deep

Thanks for bringing this topic up! And good luck on your journey
  • ColeSlaw1234
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I found that when I was applying a high deficit (average of 695Cal a day for year) I was much more anxious and agitated about not going over and knowing exactly what I was eating.

The not going over I have deliberately counteracted by always going over an artificially lowered goal. All my days are now red. I do know that if they're red by around 3 to 500 I should be maintaining or have very small weight changes. I'm basically relying on my weight trend for feedback.

The knowing what I'm eating, I still do. Mainly so that I can fit the maximum amount of treats while still eating more than a minimum of the good stuff.

It helps that due to gender, deliberate effort, and resultant activity, I've lost and maintain while eating 2.5K+

Purposely going over actually sounds like a very good way to train the mind into realizing that doing so is okay. I may start incorporating that method ^_^
  • I definitely can relate. Definitely missed out on many opportunities (honestly, life..) because I was afraid of being in situations where I would not know the macros of the food being served or not having healthy options. I was so obsessive that even when restaurants listed nutrition facts, I just assumed they were rough estimates and that there was no way they were correct/untrustworthy and they certainly weren't weighing/measuring ingredients like I DID.

Can become pretty consuming, depressing and really isolating. I have since learned to treat events/dinners out with friends being mindful and not over indulging or seeing it in black-in-white thinking (that "Well I already ate off my food plan so I might as well eat everything/anything not nailed to the floor...) mindset. I have read a lot of books and follow a lot of inspirational people online who have struggled with the same and that has helped immensely knowing that I'm not alone. I wish you the best in your journey to not feel afraid or anxious around food.
  • ColeSlaw1234
    I definitely can relate. Definitely missed out on many opportunities (honestly, life..) because I was afraid of being in situations where I would not know the macros of the food being served or not having healthy options. I was so obsessive that even when restaurants listed nutrition facts, I just assumed they were rough estimates and that there was no way they were correct/untrustworthy and they certainly weren't weighing/measuring ingredients like I DID.

Can become pretty consuming, depressing and really isolating. I have since learned to treat events/dinners out with friends being mindful and not over indulging or seeing it in black-in-white thinking (that "Well I already ate off my food plan so I might as well eat everything/anything not nailed to the floor...) mindset. I have read a lot of books and follow a lot of inspirational people online who have struggled with the same and that has helped immensely knowing that I'm not alone. I wish you the best in your journey to not feel afraid or anxious around food.

Thanks I really appreciate it ^_^ seems u have good advice too. definitely have wasted enough life and energy letting food consume my thoughts too much! Working on not letting that continue to be the case!
  • amn0619
    amn0619 Posts: 211 Member
    Definitely can relate to this. Even talking about food creates anxiety. I've had binge issues for many years and I'm working through them, but it's so hard. And it's very hard to talk to people about it because they immediately try to "fix" me. Or I've been told to stop with my issues because I'm not overweight per their definition so clearly I'm just being vain. Vanity is not the issue. Yes I'm within a healthy weight for my height (I'm at the top of the so-called "range) but the binge behaviors are creating weight gain so I'm worried about the trajectory, not my current weight. My issue is with my behavior not necessarily the current number on the scale. It's the trend of it going up that's worrisome. So I keep it to myself now which isn't really helpful. I'm looking to therapy for this now actually.

Great advice and wisdom from this group, thanks to all the posters who shared!