Eating back calories

Options
Hi All.
Just wondering if I should be eating back any calories i burn during exercise.
When I started on here I was aiming for 1200 and not eating any exercise calories back (for the most part).
I.have recently upped my cals to around 1350 but still don't know about eating back lost cals?

Replies

• Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Lorleee wrote: »
    The problem with "eating back calories" is that your exercise doesn't burn as many calories as you may think it does. That doesn't mean you're not working hard and benefiting your body, but those trackers on treadmills, etc. are usually not terribly accurate. On the advice of a Registered Dietician I kept diet and exercise as two separate spheres because when I muddled them, it didn't work well at all.

the flip side to that is that i have always used MFP to track my exercise and have lost as predicted by eating back every single exercise calorie....

I'm glad it's worked for you. I guess the key is to know your own body, and if something's not working for you, don't be afraid to change it up.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The problem with "eating back calories" is that your exercise doesn't burn as many calories as you may think it does. That doesn't mean you're not working hard and benefiting your body, but those trackers on treadmills, etc. are usually not terribly accurate. On the advice of a Registered Dietician I kept diet and exercise as two separate spheres because when I muddled them, it didn't work well at all.

Then you shold be following the caloric intake of a TDEE calcualtor if you don't want to eat them back.... those calc average out your expected exercise burn over 7 days, MFP addes them after you do it.

ETA: if you are using a treadmill that you input age, weight, etc, it will actually be quite accurate, that said most give you total cals burned, which includes what you would have burned had you sat on a sofa (1-1.5 cals/minute). Ellipticals and machines such as those tend to overestimate calories, as they don't have a universally accepted calculation for watts as treadmills and bikes tend to.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

the flip side to that is that i have always used MFP to track my exercise and have lost as predicted by eating back every single exercise calorie....

I'm glad it's worked for you. I guess the key is to know your own body, and if something's not working for you, don't be afraid to change it up.

In general I agree with "know your own body" but in this case I suspect the issue is with the accuracy of calories in and calories out.

There are some people who are not precise with their food logging and so do not count exercise calories, and have thus accidentally found a way to lose weight as expected.

And sure, the tracker on your treadmill might not be accurate.

However, I have found the burns for various activities in the MFP exercise database to be accurate for me, minus about 25%. Others use 50%, others use 100%. So we who use the exercise database are all operating under the "know your own body" principle, but with an exercise burn value greater than 0%.