Advice for beginner looking to gain muscle

Options
I have been using my fitness pal for just over a month and I have hit my target weight, now I want to start to tone up and put on some muscle gradually with weight training and proper nutrition, I have Been on an 1850 cal days for about a month, and just was working out how many calories / macros I should consuming daily and it’s around 2600 to gain muscle. Should I increase the calories Gradually over a period of time or, go straight into it

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    depends.

Depends how aggressive a bulk you want too. You will gain fat along with muscle. I start to freak out when I start being tooooo fluffly so I personally prefer a "lean bulk" with calories only slightly above my maintenance.

If you don't mind the fluff, then go harder and you can go straight up.
  • brundell7376
    brundell7376 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would slowly start adding calories until you see a gradual weight gain. try for 1to 1.5 grams protein per lb of lean body mass and adjust your carbs and fats to whatever puts you at a good energy level. I have my goals set at 45% protein 20% fat and 35% carbs.
  • mk2_dee
    mk2_dee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes looking to gain slowly. Think I may need to adjust my percentages, is this a good starting point to gain slowly
  • coaltrainwilliams
    coaltrainwilliams Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for the thread. My question is newby advice and similar. I lift x5 days a week. Want to build muscle and MyFitness says 1850 calories a day. When I exercise it adds calories onto my daily allowance...I want to lose some weight too so do I just stick to 1850 and ignore calories added due to working out?