Carrying water to drink on long runs?

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited March 2019
    apullum wrote: »
    Generally speaking, it's very rare for me to see people wearing a Camelback at a half marathon. Most people just don't need that much water for that distance. However, if you need it, you should wear it.

I personally have a Flipbelt with the 11 ounce bottle that fits inside it. I've used this while training for several half marathons and it works well for me, though I generally don't start carrying it until I hit double digit mileage. I often put Nuun in it (just snap the tablet in half and it will fit into the bottle).

Another vote for mapping out any water fountains on your route. There aren't any on mine, but it was a game changer when I found a water fountain on a route where I used to live.

Trail half in the middle of July with only 4 aid stations? You better believe I had my Camelback on that day.

I've seen people with hydration packs for a 5K, so it's not unheard of.

especially with the humidity we had this summer. so your sweat doesn't evaporate and you don't cool down. I remember we had people dropping like flies on a trail race from 5k to 50k in July
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Thanks for all the tips! I figure I’ll just use the water stations during the HM itself. Just wasn’t sure what options were out there for training. My preferred routes don’t have water fountain options, so I’ll check out some of your belt and pack suggestions! I was happy with my camelback 10 years ago, but I wondered if there might be less expensive, but equally practical, solutions.
  • BrindleRun
    BrindleRun Posts: 28 Member
    I don’t carry anything for a half but I just bought a running belt with a water bottle for my marathon training runs.
    Whatever you pick just make sure it feels comfortable for you and get used to carrying it on training runs before your race.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    I skip it. I’ve never needed to carry water with me, and I’m a distance runner (9-18 miles) putting in most of my mileage in south FL and SoCal.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichSmish wrote: »
    I skip it. I’ve never needed to carry water with me, and I’m a distance runner (9-18 miles) putting in most of my mileage in south FL and SoCal.

Lol. It’s not woo, but think what you will phantom woo-er ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member

Lol. It’s not woo, but think what you will phantom woo-er ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wow. Really? I'm genuinely surprised. When do you start in-taking water? General rule of thumb is to ingest 8-12ozs of water/electrolytes every 45 minutes to an hour when running longer than 90 minutes. Not to say, that given a runner's pace you could run most of your mileage under than that! That's totally possible, hehehe. :smile:
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    No I definitely can clock over 2.5 hours or more running without a water break. The longest has been an 18 miler. But I am literally constantly drinking water all day outside of running and sleeping. I’ve been doing it (drinking water all throughout the day) (and running for that matter) for so many years it’s just habit at this point.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    No I definitely can clock over 2.5 hours or more running without a water break. The longest has been an 18 miler.

No water or electrolytes for 2.5 hrs in the heat? That is remarkable! Attempting to do that would earn me a trip to the medical tent. :)
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    Djproulx wrote: »
    No I definitely can clock over 2.5 hours or more running without a water break. The longest has been an 18 miler.

No water or electrolytes for 2.5 hrs in the heat? That is remarkable! Attempting to do that would earn me a trip to the medical tent. :)

Yep! I don’t clock that mileage every day. But more than a handful of times.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    I can go around 15km without water if it's not the middle of summer.

Anything less than an HM, I carry a 300ml soft flask in my hand and it's about enough - but that's just me and I know plenty of people for whom it would not be.

I do have a camelback that holds two bottles but I find it annoying. I use it on rare occasions, like if I'm carrying water for a partner.

For anything much longer than 20km, I go hydration backpack. In the summer, having a bladder of water on your back feels kinda soothing. :D
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I use a Osprey Dyna hydration backpack for my long training runs. For shorter runs under 5 miles I usually don't bring anything with me. More than 5 but less than 10 I have a handheld Nathan water bottle. On race day (half marathon distance), I will use my handheld because I don't like stopping at aid stations unless I have to.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Wunjo is a newer brand that has hydration packs, too. A bit more affordable than others.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I use this for mini-rogaine events (6 hr score-O type orienteering meet, so not known ahead of time when/if you'll be near a water stop): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N5KWNEI/ (better fit for running in then most hydration packs). I bought it several years ago, so there could be better/cheaper options around now.

It doesn't generally get that terribly hot here in summer, so I typically don't bring water for street running at least up to 10-11 miles, which is the most I've run in training. Worst case: I stop in a bar/bodega/quickie mart/food stand if I do get really, really thirsty. Beyond that, I'd probably just plan to stop at one of the aforementioned places or a water fountain.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    I live in an extremely hot and humid climate so I’m usually forced to carry water on almost every run, I use a Nathan brand water back pack with a water bladder and tube. I really like the Nathan brand because I’m a woman and they sell models built to fit women specifically. I had trouble with other brands in the past chaffing me in weird spots and the strap going uncomfortably across my chest. Investing in a quality gender specific pack made a huge difference to me...
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member

That’s really unusual. I live in central Florida and during the summer I need water, and I’m not a big sweater and I don’t generally drink much.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    I bought a light weight Nathan running vest that holds 2 bottles in deep pockets on its front -- I will be using it for half training to start in a few weeks -- I couldn't stand having the bladder of water sloshing on my back.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited March 2019
    I use different holders based on time/distance and the conditions. For shorter training runs, I like a simple handheld bottle with strap. My favorite approach for runs over 2hrs is a running vest. I really like the Ultimate Direction TO 3.0 race vest. It has two pouches for soft bottles (500ml each) that have bite valve tops and a rear pouch in case you want to stow a 3rd bottle. It has a mesh back, which allows great air flow. It also has small pouches for gels, keys, phone, etc. I like this approach better than carrying a large bladder pak on my back.

When temps are very hot, I'll often freeze the 3rd bottle and put it in the rear zippered pocket. It provides cooling on my back as it thaws, then becomes my third bottle to drink.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I've drained a decent sized bottle running a half in -10C weather, so when I start doing half training (as soon as the snow is gone) I plan to wear a backpack with 1.5L in it and just get used to that. We can get to 35-40C here in the summer so I want to know I can run with the water I think I will need.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I have a camelbak waist bag I use all the time. I go trail running, anything over about 5 miles I'll fill it with water.
    It always has phone/purse/gloves/ small supplies in it. Don't like carrying stuff or it bouncing around in pockets.

Dad was in mountain rescue back in the day, must always have some emergency kit. Although mostly it's for emergency ice cream or scone opportunities 😆
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    It depends on where I'm going, how often there are refill spots (convenience stores in cities, hydrants in parks, or rivers/lakes), distance, and temperature.

On trails / wilderness, I'll usually bring bottles and a filter (I like the Sawyer mini). If there isn't water for long distances in the area or it is especially hot, I will bring a reservoir.

In cities where there are convenience stores or other places to refill every 5 miles (more or less, depending on distance), I'll just bring bottles - usually still with a pack for other stuff if I'm going further distances. But if I'm doing loops around a park that are 10 or fewer miles (even if I'm going around several times and running 20-30 miles), I'll probably just bring a hand-held. This is because if I'm going past my car or fountains/hydrants, I don't need to carry lots of other stuff besides water and some glucose tablets (type 1 diabetic) and phone. The rest I can leave in my car or at home (for the park that is only about a mile from home), then can retrieve whatever I need next time I come around.