Sunshine in a bottle (vitamin D)

Options
Nonya81
Nonya81 Posts: 145 Member
Do you take vitamin D? If so, how many units do you take? I have a low vitamin d count so my doc put me on 60,000 units twice a week and that seems like alot.

Replies

• Nonya81
    Nonya81 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Is anybody out there?
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Is anybody out there?

I just recently starting taking Vitamin D, the liquid kind. One dropper full and I am done for the day. I take 5000 units a day.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much standard therapy for Vitamin D deficiency.

I take 2000 units a day (MD recommendation).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I take 5,000 units per day for my deficiency. If you're concerned, you should get a 2nd oppinion...your doctor and/or another doctor are going to know a lot more than a bunch of randos on the internet.
  • Touched670
    Touched670 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Three weeks ago my doctor called with some test results that I had done. I was expecting her to tell me that I was diabetic...instead she tells me that I'm borderline diabetic and what shocked me was...severely Vitamin D deficient. She has put me on RX Vitamin D for the next eight weeks I have to take 50,000 IUD once a week. Then have blood drawn and retested to see if I have to keep taking such high dosages. When I looked up Vitamin D deficiency online, I was amazed to see that out of the 12 symptoms listed, I was suffering from all of them but one!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I never knew about vitamin deficiency, but as always, it's not always better to add more.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-d-toxicity/AN02008

Hopefully since you're following your doctor's advice s/he is going to do additional blood tests to confirm blood levels and then adjust your intake accordingly.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I take 5,000 units a day, as we get more rain than sun most months of the year.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I take 5,000 units a day, or i was told i could take 25,000 once a week since it's a fat soluble vitamin.