How to improve flexibility on squats?

Options
AvianDB
AvianDB Posts: 56 Member
My flexibility is like really bad, can’t reach parallel in squats with or without bar. Hard to find good resources for improving flexibility (I think its ankles and hip flexors I need to work on). What are some good stretches/exercises for improving flexibility on both and how often should I be doing them?

Replies

• Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Oh there’s tons on info out there! Ankle stretches,use bands stand on plates. Hip.. Spider-Man walks, Russian baby makers.. a proper warm up will help too... hope that helps
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    the BEST EVER - @ coacheugeneteo on Instagram and his website www.ganbarumethod.com

seriously - could not recommend it more.

• jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Would highly recommend to take up pilates or yoga to help improve flexibility but go to an actual physical class over someone showing you on the Internet who isnt physically present with you, where the instructor will show you how to properly do the moves as your form needs to be good doing some of the moves, especially in pilates.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options
    Is it balance, strength or joint issues? Or all of the above?

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
  • usmcgirlfriend0724
    usmcgirlfriend0724 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I turn my toes out slightly instead of being straight forward. That tends to help with being able to get a little lower.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Before I do any weighted squats I'll do 1 or 2 bodyweight sets. I wrap a towel, or my trx around a column in the basement to steady myself, then go low as I can. That helps me quite a bit.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    You might also benefit from lifting shoes: have someone watch your form with your heels raised on a small bumper plate and see if you can get lower. Good test of ankle mobility!
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Omar's stretching helps me everytime

https://youtu.be/hA_uj4vGTBQ
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    The best stretch for a squat is a squat.

Don't force it and play with your stance width, bar position, foot angle, grip width.

If you have a vid of you to post either here or PM me and I can have you at parallel more than likely in a couple sessions since we are online instead of in person.

I agree with this. I've had mobility and flexibility issues since I started with all of this and I tried all the drills. They did nothing. The only thing that helped was to keep squatting.

Now, I'm not going to lie, progress has been slow, but I'm old and have arthritis. YMMV.

• AvianDB
    AvianDB Posts: 56 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    The best stretch for a squat is a squat.

Don't force it and play with your stance width, bar position, foot angle, grip width.

If you have a vid of you to post either here or PM me and I can have you at parallel more than likely in a couple sessions since we are online instead of in person.

Don’t have video but will definitely practice with holding a dumbbell in front of me to help balance (and work my way to not using one at all), I think it’s just the form I need to get down and some work on hip/ankle mobility. I can get close but I can’t go all the way to parallel and hold while being balanced even with no weight.
    lx1x wrote: »
    Is it balance, strength or joint issues? Or all of the above?

I think balance/mobility but it could be form, my form in general is really bad (took me a while to get upper body workouts straight too).

Thanks for the replies everyone!
  • ryan_powerlifter
    ryan_powerlifter Posts: 115 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    warm up warm up warm up. Before any big lift like squats and deadlifts, I spend a good 20 minutes doing static stretches, dynamic stretches, and foam rolling. From there I will do about 3-4 (sometimes more depending on how I feel) sets that are very light weight form focused. After my Lifts I stretch some more. Also yoga a few times a week helps a ton!

EDIT: wanted to add as well make sure form is proper. for me I need a wider stance with my feet angled out about 30 degrees. Everyone is gonna be different on what stance works for them that their body can from too.
  • ryan_powerlifter
    ryan_powerlifter Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You might also benefit from lifting shoes: have someone watch your form with your heels raised on a small bumper plate and see if you can get lower. Good test of ankle mobility!

Agreed, using a flat heeled shoe (Chuck taylors) made a world of difference for me.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I benefited from a slow cadence squats "3-0-3-0" (3 seconds descending, 3 seconds ascending) and paused squats (2 second pause at bottom). Got these ideas from Barbell Medicine's "The Bridge" program. Obviously, you have to lower the weight on the bar but these really get you thinking and feeling it and provide a good stretch. Go half or quarter depth until you're strong enough to go full depth.

If you're fairly new to lifting you could benefit from doing these three times a week. Twice per week would be ok and once per week would be the absolute minimum. As you get stronger, substitute back in regular squats.
  • jls1leather9497
    jls1leather9497 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Best to get better at squatting is .... squatting.

There is a 'rebound' reflex in your muscles that can actually make stretching WORSEN the effect.

I recommend squatting, and stretch AFTER.
  • msurkus
    msurkus Posts: 23 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I have 2 recommendations try squating with a bench go down till your rear barely hits the bench or if you have to sit then up. Gives you a bit of security also I recommend sissy squats simply hold on to something and squat letting your arms assist you as needed. Don’t worry about using weight I have had some of my best leg workouts doing these only. Just focus on isolating and contracting to muscles. As far as flexibility you should be able to go as low as possible with you arms assisting you. In a few weeks you should have the flexibility and strength to do regular squats. Try 3-5 sets a day 15-30 reps or less as long as your getting max from and flexibility. I usually just go to failure. At times that 10 reps.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Omar's stretching helps me everytime

https://youtu.be/hA_uj4vGTBQ

Videos like this drive me nuts. I want to see someone do a squatting video who is built like me - tall with long femurs - since when I am in a balanced position with my shoulders over my mid foot as he is demonstrating, it’s completely different from that of a person with short legs like this. Not everyone is built the same and a long legged person can’t be balanced with an upright torso in this position unless their knees are stuck out sideways like a spider’s.

Two things helped me with my squat: first, the “clench and waddle” technique to figure out foot position. Start with your feet together, clench your butt, and gradually walk your legs out to the side until they feel natural. Your feet will naturally turn as far out as they need to for your body, and they will be balanced under your shoulders.

Then, squat ATG with your heels on the ground and just sit there. Stay down as long as you can without discomfort, and gradually increase the time until you can do it five minutes or basically forever. Waddle around in a squat position, wiggle your knees in and out, shift your weight onto your toes and sit back on your heels again, just sit on your hams a little bit longer every day until it becomes comfortable for you.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Yoga <3<3 Classes, or at home. I have a strap and blocks, and it has really increased my flexibility and in 3 months I went from not even being able to go down into a yoga squat, and now I can do crow.