Recently started 1200 cals a day or under, period has been weird ever since.

Just for reference, I am not looking to lose, I'm looking to maintain my weight, I'm 5'2 and 110lbs.

Backstory: For the past few months I have gotten really bad anxiety over weight gain... and since turning 20 last year I have gotten this fear that I am going to randomly gain weight out of nowhere, even though I rarely do gain. The last time I ever noticed that I was a bit more was when I was going through puberty (even then I wasn't overweight, I just had more meat on my bones), I thinned out for unknown reasons in January of 2017 and stood basically the same ever since. At first, I really hated it but I started to appreciate my small frame a lot more. Now I wanna keep it like that. I used to never count calories either and I would just stay the same, I wish I could go back to that but I'm too afraid....

Anywho, my new thing now is OMAD/1200 cals a day, I eat one meal a day, and then I will have some snacks on the side like vegetables or whole wheat toast/healthy granola bars or something. I have also been working out basically almost every day (usually just cardio and walking), even if its just walking , I will walk a couple or even several miles now. I've been doing OMAD for a while now, but I have also incorporated the 1200 calorie thing fairly recently. Ever since doing that I've noticed that my menstrual cycles have been shorter (they now average on 22-25 days). I know that isn't bad but what is really bugging me is I finished my period literally 9 DAYS AGO and today I check on myself and all of a sudden I'm flowing blood! wtf is going on? Do you think this could be due to overexertion or the diet change? Anybody have anything similar? I'm just really worried. I went to the doctor today and all they did was blood so I just have to wait I guess.. :(

Replies

• pagophagia
    pagophagia Posts: 24 Member
    edited March 2019
    On MFP it actually does say more, its more around 1600 and I used to go by that, but for some reason I got hooked on that 1200 cal a day reddit, I guess I'm just being silly \: Also, on a daily basis its usually 1288-1350, still under but yeah
  • pagophagia
    yeh thats the one, those recipes sure are delicious tho haha
  • pagophagia
    You are undereating for your height, weight, age, and activity level. This could disrupt your hormones.

Put your stats into MFP for maintenance. Eat those calories, and the ones you have earned through exercise.

If you can’t eat more through fear of gaining please talk to your doctor and get a referral to a therapist, councillor, or registered dietitian.

You can eat more without gaining. Though there may be a small bump on the scale initially, it is only water weight and more food transiting your body.

I too am small (5’1, 102lbs) and maintain on more than 1200 cals, close to 1800 with exercise.

Cheers, h.

Thanks for the reply, and for being so nice, I talked about this on another site and everyone was really nasty so you think its this diet thats making it irregular?
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    There's also some research that suggests that intermittent fasting can be particularly disruptive to SOME women's hormones. So you may want to rethink OMAD as well.

(obviously, everyone's milage varies. Some women do really well with various forms of time-restricted eating. But the research on it is almost all on men, and the research on women is almost all NOT on young, normal-weight women, and some women report responding really poorly to versions of IF).

http://paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/#

Some of the biggest names in IF promotion don't recommend normal-weight women engage in time-restricted eating:
    "I would also caution against the already lean, already calorie-restricted woman jumping headfirst into IF. I mean, fasting is ultimately sending a message of scarcity to your body. That’s a powerful message that can get a powerful response from our bodies. If you’re already lean (which, depending on the degree of leanness, arguably sends a message of scarcity) and restricting calories (which definitely sends a message of scarcity), the response to fasting can be a little too powerful."
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/
    (he goes on to say that what you're doing, with DAILY fasting, is particularly stressful)
  • MrsDan1667
    MrsDan1667 Posts: 76 Member
    edited March 2019
    I too am small (5’1, 102lbs) and maintain on more than 1200 cals, close to 1800 with exercise.

Gosh, I’m 5’1, 115lbs and I gain on anything consistently over 1500/day. How do you eat 1800 and maintain 102? (not trying to be rude; I’m genuinely asking)
  • pagophagia
    apullum wrote: »
    Have you seen a mental health professional about your fear and anxiety about gaining weight? And have you seen your regular doctor about the “unknown reasons” why you lost weight? Both of these are things that a professional can help you with, and both are particularly concerning to me.

I think that loss of weight was just me growing into my body, like I said I gained when I was going through puberty and then slimmed out in early 2017. In 2017 is when I kind of started eating a bit less, but it still wasn’t OMAD. I’ve talked to my doc about it a couple of times when it first happened and we did some tests and I’m alright, theres no underlying issue with why I lost weight.
  • pagophagia
    edited March 2019
    Maxematics wrote: »
    savithny wrote: »
    There's also some research that suggests that intermittent fasting can be particularly disruptive to SOME women's hormones. So you may want to rethink OMAD as well.

(obviously, everyone's milage varies. Some women do really well with various forms of time-restricted eating. But the research on it is almost all on men, and the research on women is almost all NOT on young, normal-weight women, and some women report responding really poorly to versions of IF).

http://paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/#

Some of the biggest names in IF promotion don't recommend normal-weight women engage in time-restricted eating:
    "I would also caution against the already lean, already calorie-restricted woman jumping headfirst into IF. I mean, fasting is ultimately sending a message of scarcity to your body. That’s a powerful message that can get a powerful response from our bodies. If you’re already lean (which, depending on the degree of leanness, arguably sends a message of scarcity) and restricting calories (which definitely sends a message of scarcity), the response to fasting can be a little too powerful."
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/
    (he goes on to say that what you're doing, with DAILY fasting, is particularly stressful)

I am SO glad you linked this. I see such IF hype around here as of late and I'll admit that I used to do it a few years ago but after months of it, it really screwed me up big time. I lost my period and my mood changed completely. I wasn't sure if it was due to IF but after I made the connection it became clear. It took almost a year for my body to go back to normal. I personally feel that IF works better for women who are overweight/obese, have excess body fat, and/or have insulin issues. I'm not sure it's suitable for lean women who want to get leaner.

Anyway OP, I'm 5'3" and 112 pounds. I eat between 2000 to 2400 per day to maintain and I'm active. Even if you aren't as active, 1200 calories is still not maintenance for you. I am aware of 1200isplenty and it is great for recipes and all, but I feel like some people take their headline "Food for small bodies" too literally. I am small bodied and I'd gnaw my arms off if I ate 1200 calories per day. It should say "Food for small bodies (that are also quite sedentary, older, and/or have a medical condition)" and even then, as stated above, @middlehaitch fits part of that criteria and maintains on far more than 1200 calories!

I don't blame you for having that number in your head; 1200 calories for women is something that's perpetuated far too often in the weight loss community. Few women need to eat that little to lose weight and even fewer need to eat such a small amount to maintain their weight.

Trust me, most days I wish I could gnaw my own arms off... I tracked my TDEE (which is actually 1600-1800 a day, which makes my brain rattle. Because when I first started out I only consumed maybe close to 14 or 1500) and my BMR (1222 cals) is literally the amount I'm eating, I mean I kind of go over it but not too much. what even is your BMR anyways? I'm really really new to the whole counting cals thing /
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Your BMR is the amount you burn simply by existing. In other words, if you were in a coma, immobile, doing nothing but breathing, that's how many calories you'd need to stay alive. TDEE is the amount you burn during your normal daily activities.

For weight loss, you should be eating below TDEE but above BMR.