Why is it better to have less of a deficit the closer you get to goal weight?

Options
I have been wondering this. I've read that as you get closer to your goal weight, you should have less of a calorie deficit. Is this true? If so, why?

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    It seems like a smaller deficit as you get closer would put you closer to what your maintenance calories would be. It leads me to think that transitioning to maintenance would be easier because of that.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I'm in that position right now, working on some maintenance vanity pounds. Since I'm already at a lower weight (which would usually be the case as someone is getting closer to goal weight), my maintenance calorie intake is around 1,600 calories, (40 years old, sedentary for the most part). Now, to lose weight I need to create a deficit from that. But, since that number is already pretty low-if I was trying to lose a pound a week it would put me at 1,100 calories per day. Not only would that be miserable, it wouldn't be healthy.

So, I have a target of .5lb a week, which puts me at around 1,350 calories per day. Much more doable (and safer!).
  • Whatpatience
    Whatpatience Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You might be interested in this: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169669523&page=1

TLDR: Research suggests that you can only burn a small fraction of your body fat each day (0.8-0.9%). 0.8% of 10 kgs of fat is obviously a lower number of calories than 0.8% of 20 kgs of fat, so as you have less fat you can also burn less fat.