Soy - Do you eat it?

Options
Why or why not? I'm not looking to spark a debate about GMO's - I'm talking about non-GMO tofu and other non-GMO soy meat alternatives. I'm just wondering why some people choose not to eat it. I used to eat tons of meat substitutes, but I have some girly hormonal issues, and I'm wondering if I should be cutting soy out of my diet. Anyone have any opinions on the soy debate?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I don't go looking for soy, but I'm sure it's hidden in some of the food I eat. I've tried tofu and hate it. The flavor, or lack of, turns me off.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of soy products, but that has nothing to do with the nutritional value. I LOVE edamame. I used put it in pastas, salads, sandwiches, or have it as a snack. So yummy. I've tried tofu, but I get an upset stomach. I don't get it from soy milk or edamame, only from tofu. Not sure why, but I try to stay away from a lot of soy products just in case I have an allergy to it (I keep meaning to make a doc appointment but always forget to mention testing). My husband refuses to eat it because he thinks it'll make his moobs bigger. I don't know if that's true and to be honest, I don't have enough information on the subject to have a real opinion. Maybe cut it out of your diet and see if there are any changes.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I don't go looking for soy, but I'm sure it's hidden in some of the food I eat. I've tried tofu and hate it. The flavor, or lack of, turns me off.

It's supposed to absorb flavor, not be eaten by itself. Baked tofu with a drizzle of dark sesame oil and spice... delicious. soggy soft tofu thrown into a stir fry unceremoniously, not yummy.
  • txwarriormama
    Options
    I use organic soy sauce here and there and have edamame occasionally, but avoid soy in general. It messes with hormones and is really a problem for kids (especially my soy intolerant son). I also try to avoid processed foods as much as I can, so I don't get much hidden soy (or other crap). Most of my cooking is free of gluten. dairy, soy, yeast and peanut, since those are the things my boy can't eat - the whole family benefits because that eliminates so many processed/"unclean" foods.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE TOFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU SOOOOOOOO MUUUCCCHHH!!!! But, I'm also a vegetarian so it's a staple in my diet lol UGH! Fried tofu with peanut sauce, holy **** man, if you haven't had that you are SERIOUSLY!!! MISSING OUT!!! Seitan, tofu, I eat all that jazz. You have to learn how to cook with it. Tofu plain can taste kind of icky, but put a little soy sauce on it, bake it or stir fry it, and you're set. I have yet to try a meat loaf or tofurkey though. I think I'm going to do that for Thanksgiving/Christmas this year :)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Only in the form of edamame every once in a while.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Seriously, go to an Asian restaurant that serves fried tofu and eat it with peanut sauce. Your life will forever be changed.....:smokin:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's in a lotta stuff. I eat it if it's in stuff, I guess.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I avoid it for the most part because of the phytoestrogens. Soy products are in quite a number of the foods we eat so it is easy to get more in your diet than you think. It doesn't concern me enough to go figure out all of the soy products that contain phytoestrogens - not all do - and cut them out of my diet, or to try tracking the amount I'm eating because I know I'm not getting that much. Fortunately, I hate nearly all tofu dishes* so that makes it easy.

I do use a drizzle of soy sauce on my sushi and sashimi (every couple of weeks), eat edamame as an appetizer (every couple of months), and have asian food (more soy sauce, about once a month).

* I did have tofu Pad Thai at a local restaurant that has since closed that was awesome
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I use it and don't worry about it because I'm not consuming huge quantities of it often. I don't have any issues with soy. I don't eat a ton of it but I do eat it regularly. I eat edamame, roasted soy beans, sometimes I have the vegetarian meat products, etc.

It will only affect you if you have an issue with soy or if you consume very large amounts of it often. Some soy here and there or a serving or two a day will not harm you.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I've tried tofu, but would rather eat meat and I've tried soy milk & yogurt which I didn't like.
  • AZ_Danny
    AZ_Danny Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Since I eat halal I tend to eat vegetarian when eating out (unless I wish to eat out at the same 3 restaurants) so I do tend to eat veggie burgers when they're available... which often contain soy. When I run into them, I'll buy quorn products although I'm not vegetarian at home... but because I really like them. They're made out of fungus instead of soy.... I'm sure they come with their own set of issues... but whether it's quorn or soy, my tummy approves!

Also, I second what the other person said about fried tofu... every time I order chinese delivery I get sesame tofu... it's the best thing ever
  • mrjoshuablack
    Options
    I thought i would chime in. I Loove extra extra firm tofu. I found that all tofu isn't equal. The super extra firm tofu is amazing with any dish prepared in anyway. Stir fried with veggies, or cold in a salad the key is to generously season it.
  • lostlinkster
    lostlinkster Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am not scared of soy. I find the hormone thing to be questionable. Its been awhile, but as I recall that came form a dairy industry report. I don't care. It just seems to me that cows milk, and meat has more hormones pumped into it, than there is in soy.
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    I'm vegan, so I'm contractually obligated to like tofu and tempeh. ;) But I'm not a fan of edamame. I don't eat much in the way of processed foods anymore, so that's probably all the soy I get nowadays. I like tofu a lot, but I try to eat a wide variety of things, so I don't eat it all the time. But it's not because I fear it. I fear no plant estrogens because I'm of the "Unless you eat a metric crap-ton of it, like what they feed to rodents in lab tests, it's probably not going to harm you overmuch." I especially don't fear phytoestrogens since the benefits of phytoestrogens/isoflavones in terms of mitigating the risk of heart disease and cancers are known and their "risks" are unproven or applicable only to specific and known groups of people, none of which I happen to belong to at this time.

See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074428/ for a pretty balanced analysis.

So, I'mma eats my soy in rotation amongst my beans, lentils, quinoa, seitan, oats, etc.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I believe soy sauce is about it. I have no interest in it.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I eat it. For awhile, I avoided it due to the warnings about hormones. But I think the risk has more to do with the fact that soy is hidden in so many processed foods, so people are getting too much of the unhealthy kinds. Since I don't eat a lot of that, I don't feel there's a risk.

I also realized that almond milk has next to no nutritional value, so I went back to soy milk. And I love tofu. My husband actually cooked it for me a few times, and honestly, it was gross. I never thought I'd like it. But then I learned how to cook it, and I absolutely love it now! Even my husband was like, "now that's how you make tofu!" and he he likes it a lot better now too.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a clear answer as to just how much soy affects hormones and if it truly is that bad for you. I was about to buy a nutritional shake once, and as I was reading the label, it said for all women with any hormone dependent disease, gynecological disease, including breast cancer or a family history of breast cancer, to not take the product. I asked the salesperson why they would put that warning, and he said it was because it had soy protein in it.

That kind of scared me. I have stage 4 endometriosis and a family history of breast cancer, so that warning label applied to me. I was already avoiding tofu (which I used to eat all the time) because I kept reading that it was bad for endo, but that made me want to avoid it all together. So I try to stay away from soy as much as possible now. Protein powder is the only processed food that I eat often, so I avoid soy protein and I don't get alot of "hidden" soy either. Never really liked soy and tofu that much anyway.
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid soy because soy is estrogenic and i have uterine fibroids. (estrogen makes the fibroids grow)

I used to drink soy milk and eat soy beans because i thought they were healthy. Ooops.

Uterine fibroids are terrible. They are very painful and they make me chronically anemic. :(

Soy is not my friend.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have had soy burgers and I love them. I have had soy chocolate milk, yummy.