Any recommendations on vitamins?

Options
Hello!

I am hoping someone would be able to recommend vitamins? I am 33 and I have never really cared about taking daily vitamins to try to tend and take care of my body making sure that its getting all it needs.
But this time around I am wanting to include them on my journey. Just some all natural, good for you vitamins :)

Would be a big plus if they are the gummy kind ( I am still a big kid at heart :D )

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What vitamins are you deficient in?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I take D3 everyday because blood work showed I was low. I also take a multi, something like alive! Energy....More recent blood work showed my d level is back to normal!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    My vitamins are fruits and vegetables.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned that you may have a vitamin or mineral deficiency, then you should ask your doctor to test you for whatever specific condition(s) you're worried about.
  • Britxclarity
    Britxclarity Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the answers. Nothing really feels off balance-wise. Was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations that goes along wise clean eating.
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I buy mine over the counter, just read the label and compare which gives you more vitamins with your money.
    I also like those vitamins that you only take once a day. I think it's easier to remember. The new ones comes with fish oil taste nasty. Yuck! I don't take those, I eat plenty of fish so I think I don't need additional fish oil at the moment. But if you don't eat fish, vitamin with fish oil (omega) should be alright.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kayfaei wrote: »
    Thank you guys for the answers. Nothing really feels off balance-wise. Was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations that goes along wise clean eating.

I don't eat clean, but I do aim to get over 500g of fruit and veg a day, which seems to give me enough vitamins
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I checked my nutrient report on MFP. I found that I was consistently a bit low on iron and calcium. So I take these plus a multi vitamin for seniors. Admittedly. I may not need the latter ... habit.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I don't take any vitamins, get what I need from veggies and fruit. I've taken them in the past (including fish oil) and my doctor recommended that I stop taking them. Quit them a couple years ago and my blood work panels/health markers are still good, no deficiencies.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    kayfaei wrote: »
    Hello!

I am hoping someone would be able to recommend vitamins? I am 33 and I have never really cared about taking daily vitamins to try to tend and take care of my body making sure that its getting all it needs.
    But this time around I am wanting to include them on my journey. Just some all natural, good for you vitamins :)

Would be a big plus if they are the gummy kind ( I am still a big kid at heart :D )

@kayfaei - hi! I like rainbow light brand- they have a variety on Amazon. Instead of taking 4 horse pills - it’s one tablet. I use it as insurance for vitamins and minerals. 😉

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    As a young woman in the northern hemisphere, I would suggest vitamin D and Folic Acid. You might also benefit from an iron supplement depending on your bloodwork.

The most natural source of Vitamin D is sunlight but not many of us spend all day outdoors in our skivvies these days.

The natural sources of iron are red meat, organ meat and the Lucky Iron Fish.

Natural sources for Folic Acid as well as many other vitamins are the dark green and orange fruits and vegetables which is why the national nutritional guidelines recommend you eat these daily.

A varied diet is the best insurance against deficiency.
  • Britxclarity
    Britxclarity Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys. I didnt even know there was a nutrition info part of MFP! I will check out all of these vitamins but also check with my DR first before hand.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    Be careful about believing the MFP nutrition reports for micronutrients (like vitamins and minerals).

Food labels are not required to list all the micronutrients, so they may appear as zero in the database when there's actually some (maybe a lot) in the food.

Remember that the database is crowd-sourced: Entered by regular users. If the person who entered that food in the database didn't care to track micronutrients, they may not have bothered to put them in the database entry, even if the information was on the label.

Before you conclude you have a micronutrient deficiency and need to supplement, based on MFP logging, spot-check a day or two of your eating against the MFP database, or do an internet search for foods high in a nutrient of concern, and see if you're already eating some. (For example, if you're worried about potassium, search for "foods high in potassium" using Google or similar.) For iron in particular, don't supplement without being tested. Too much is also a bad idea.

I'm another who believes the best move is to get micronutrients as much as possible from foods, especially veggies and fruits. Foods are evolution-tested for safety and effectiveness. Also, foods probably include essential nutrients that haven't even been identified by science yet, but the pills mostly only contain ones science knows about. (Quite a few "new" micronutrients have been discovered during my lifetime. They were in food all along.)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The best thing you can do is eat a variety of nutrient rich foods. Many people skimp on the fruits and veggies so make sure you get plenty. It is not always true, but generally the darker the color, the higher they are in nutrients (spinach is higher than iceberg lettuce for example). Next time you have a doctor visit, ask about getting some labs done to see where you are and see if the doctor has any recommendations.

Many will take a "100% of a lot but not too much of any one thing" multi just in case, especially when eating reduced calories. If you choose to go that route, stick with a good store brand that is not ridiculously priced.

Personally, I take D3 (doctor suggestion because I live in the frozen north and am prone to depression anyway) and prescription potassium because tests showed me to be low.
  • CharlizeGraves
    CharlizeGraves Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I’ve been taking capsules that have 30 fruit and veggies in them. Also veg omegas. They have gummies which are yummy too!