OCD & ME: Because fitness is also a frame of mind.

Options
I am writing this because I believe their are many individuals suffering through this alone in silence due to embarrassment and fear of social persecution(not sure if that is the right word to use, but going with it anyways).

I have been suffering from extreme OCD since 7 years old. It came about after suffering mental trauma at the loss of a friend to cancer. It was my first exposure to death and it scared the hell out of me, in fact, it still does.

I think thats how all OCD starts, an overwhelming fear infects the mind and the mind attempts to protect it from the fear by making up rituals that are supposed to magically prevent the possibility of the fear from occurring .

Anyways. It controlled my whole life for many years. Back in the late 70s, OCD, was not so widespread as to be recognisable. I tried to explain to my parents but the just thought I was fooling around. As time progressed, more and more rituals infected my life. For instance, I would get stuck in a room, turning a light switch on and off for what seemed an hour before I could leave, or, I would have to hold my breath while going up stairs. As time went on, however, I managed to get a grip on the condition. I did this by making a choice. I chose to ignore the impulses. It was and is still a daily battle. I banish one ritual, and more pop up. Only one person IRL knows I have this condition.

I still have to fight off the rituals on a daily basis and many still get through before I realize it happened. It causes a fair amount of stress but is manageable through force of will.

If you suffer from OCD, and would like to talk about it, or need advice, feel free to PM me or friend me.