Loony Challenge - Training help?

I'm probably overthinking this and won't need to start training for a while, but need thoughts on how to train for the Loony Challenge this fall (October 5 and 6). This is where you run a 10K and 5K on Saturday and then a 10 miler on Sunday. 19.3 miles for the weekend.

Can it really be as simple as building my way up to a 10 mile run Saturday and Sunday? I'm also considering having 1 day a week where I run a 5K in the morning and then another 5K at night.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I would get to the point where I can run 15-16 continuous miles. I would also try to do 10 on Saturday and a long run on Sunday so you know what it is like to run long on tired legs. For the event, I would do all the runs at an easy pace. Pushing hard on Saturday will leave you burnt out on Sunday. Have fun.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I did a version of this last year - it was a 10K and 5K on Saturday, followed by a marathon the next day. It was really fun, although I don't know if I would do it again!

I trained by using a training plan for the "Goofy Challenge" that I found on Hal Higdon's website. The Goofy Challenge is a little different (it's a half followed by a marathon), but the main component was doing two runs in a weekend. The Sunday run was the real long run, but you went into it having run a shorter (but still substantial) run the day before. The point is to get ready to run the longer race not completely rested.

Generally, I think it can be as simple as just getting ready for the 10 mile race, but consider getting some runs in the day before your long runs. Think about your strategy for the Saturday races as well. I went harder than I should have in the 10K and it probably slowed me down for the marathon.