Depression and motivation

Hello everyone~☆
Ok a little backstory. I have depression (duh) and really want to be healthy but am stuck at my start line and am intending to keep going.
Sw- 240
Cw- 236
Gw- 140 (I will see when my body feels best, scale isn't everything)
I've been battling depression for years, but have gotten myself to being able to 95% overcome it when it really homes in. My weight gain happened when my depression hit after I found my (obviously ex-) fiance was cheating on me, and from the beginning (left him immediately).

I stopped eating and was only drinking for I don't even know how long but I know it was about 2-4 months.

I've attempted to work out and eat right on and off (when on I am super successful) but something in me triggers and I fail and start over (sometimes at a worse starting point).

I want to make a place for anyone that feels like their mental illnesses could be blocking them. Not just depression. It could be as simple as
"I am having a hard time and need some encouragement"
To
"I'm sad and this donut looks perfect"
It could be about picking each other up, encouraging to be strong, or confirming a small hiccup doesn't mean you have to just give up.

Because we are all deserving to be healthy and happy and no chemicals in our brain deserve to rule us.

Replies

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Odd how it depression can go either way on eating and appetite. I started losing weight during a divorce - I've been dysthemic and obese pretty much my whole life, but the divorce made for a depressive episode where I had no appetite.
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Dont let it. Make a plan. Set out what your goals are and take baby steps to attain them. Dont try to accomplish too much at one time. Having someone you can talk to is important to get you through the bad episodes. Keep them on speed dial. And keep your eyes on the prize. One day you will look around and find that you have accomplished something you didn't know you could.🌹
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    when I'm depressed or anxious I eat all the foods too. All of them. One after the other. Healthy and not healthy. All goes down my pie-hole.

• leighannpollard
    leighannpollard Posts: 5 Member
    Hey thanks for starting this discussion.
    I've had depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember with a lot of PTSD mixed in. I've tried every medication possible with horrible side effects and weight gain no matter how healthy I ate and worked out. I have been unmedicated for 2 years now when I discovered CBD oil.
    I have found that enjoy working out- that adrenaline high I guess. I'm in a better mood all day at work also and I can let out all my stress on the punching bag
    Sw 235
    CW 230
    GW 160
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Hey thanks for starting this discussion.
    I've had depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember with a lot of PTSD mixed in. I've tried every medication possible with horrible side effects and weight gain no matter how healthy I ate and worked out. I have been unmedicated for 2 years now when I discovered CBD oil.
    I have found that enjoy working out- that adrenaline high I guess. I'm in a better mood all day at work also and I can let out all my stress on the punching bag
    Sw 235
    CW 230
    GW 160

Yes, You get the release of those endorphins when wor!ing out. One of the best feelings. When I weighed 140 pounds I used to speed walk and strength train JUST for those endorphins. I didn't need to lose weight but I just loved working out. I guess I am an addict for the endorphins! lol
  • Momcantrain
    Momcantrain Posts: 6 Member
    I'm trying really hard to kick this really bad comfort eating habit I have developed. I have gained 15kg in just over a year. I feel like I am exploding out of everything I try to wear but I feel even worse when I'm naked. Trying really hard to love this body but it's hard. I keep spiralling down the guilt cycle. Trying so hard to break free from it.
  • HBF29
    HBF29 Posts: 8 Member
    It's a vicious feedback loop for me. I'm depressed and hate my body, but my depression also has me in zombie mode with no motivation. I remember the endorphin high and how good it felt when I exercised regularly, but that seems like a different person from who I am today. Finally brought myself to a therapist a couple of months ago which is new for me.
  • mnbell2013
    mnbell2013 Posts: 45 Member
    I recently was dumped by a guy I was head-over-heels in love with. It's been very, very difficult for me because this was the first time I felt this way for anyone and I wanted to have a future with him. I've had chronic low-level depression since I was a teenager (I'm 24 now) but this breakup really dragged me down to a much darker place than I've been in years. When I'm at my absolute lowest I don't feel like eating anything, but when I'm in my typical "everyday" mindset I tend to disregard healthy eating in favor of large amounts of carbs and greasy takeout. I started with a new therapist on Monday after months of making half-assed efforts of finding someone I connected with, so it's still very early in the process. I guess I'll see what happens in the coming weeks.
  • gonnadoityeah
    gonnadoityeah Posts: 22 Member
    You all are so amazing. Sometimes just talking about our pain and shame and everything that comes with depression, anxiety or any mental health issue can be the hardest part. We are all warriors. We may fall down. We may stay down for the longest time. But the fact we even try to get up again is inspiring. We may fall a million times, feeling like our very minds and bodies are wrecked, but even a small change, thoughts of change, planning or even acknowledging the issues and what we can and want to do.... it gives me hope. It can be bad. Like a million shards of tiny glass, cutting until nothing is left. But regardless we try. And I know we will win.
  • mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    mnbell2013 wrote: »
    I started with a new therapist on Monday after months of making half-assed efforts of finding someone I connected with, so it's still very early in the process. I guess I'll see what happens in the coming weeks.

What happened is that you took a positive step. Good for you. The first step is the hardest.

• mstarks01
    zillah73 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, my mom passed away in February and I have been on an emotional roller coaster ever since. Some days I do better than others but I have been dealing with my sadness, my regret, my guilt and all the other unpleasant emotions this has brought forward by reverting to binge eating and skipping my workouts. I feel so lost and hopeless, especially when I see friends having weight loss success. I am hoping that journaling and talking to my support group will help me to sort of purge all these feelings so that I don't feel the need to stuff them down with food. I am back on my healthy meal plan this week and I went to the gym for the first time this month last night.

You have been going through something very, very difficult. Be gentle on yourself. This will take time. There will be good days and bad days. After some time, you'll be able to look back with fondness. In the meantime, if you fall, just remind yourself that you're going through a lot. Get back up before too long passes and continue on.

• Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 553 Member
    The past 8 months especially have been hard for me as I've struggled to deal with everything (and everyone). If I'm honest with myself I have probably dealt with anxiety and depression for years but I was that one everyone depended on so I just found ways to coop, but this year it's just been too much. When I'm stressed I overeat but when I'm depressed I don't eat, as I just don't have the energy or appetite to get up and prepare food... So my goal for right now is to log my food. I've also downloaded an app called streaks to get notifications to do those simple everyday tasks (as somedays even showering seems like a big task).
  • mstarks01
    So my goal for right now is to log my food. I've also downloaded an app called streaks to get notifications to do those simple everyday tasks (as somedays even showering seems like a big task).

You're taking positive steps and that's the right thing to do. Don't forget to get some sunshine when you can and engage in social activities. I know it can be a real effort, but it can also help.

• acuvic
    acuvic Posts: 1 Member
    Thank you for starting this group. I have struggled with depression for a long time and since I increased my meds I seemed to gain a lot of weight. I can’t blame it on the meds because I am an emotional eater where either food is what I use to deal with things or food is a punishment of sorts. I am not a part of any community and I am hoping to support and be encouraged as well with others who have experienced something similar. I am very excited to be here.