Replies

• kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • joanneg572
    joanneg572 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Here's a great site for healthy, inexpensive meals!
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/
    Blessings!
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    bump
  • fayeliquete
    Options
    I use Nutiva organic extra virgin coconut oil in most of my cooking.
    Coconut veggie delight
    chop up a variety of vegetables: carrots, beets, onions, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, turnips, kale, chard,cabbage, etc. Toss into a a metal or bamboo steamer and add some Organic no-salt seasoning and or some fresh or dried herbs.. Steam vegetables till they're don and place them in a bowl. Add a few tablespoons of Nutiva Coconut oil and Hemp-seed. (you can add a sprinkle of sea salt if you want.) I like to make extra for salads, a side dish, to add to pot pies,boiled dinner, etc.
  • paulieboy8390
    Options
    I have a ton of easy and cheap slow cooker meals. I'll post one now and come back later on to post more

3-4 chicken breast
    a splash of red wine vinegar(you don't need this if you don't have any)
    1/2 bag of baby carrots or 3-4 carrots chopped into sticks
    1 butternut squash cut into cubes
    2tbsp italian seasoning

Place chicken in crockpot add a splash of red wine vinegar. In separate bowl mix veggies and seasoning pour on top of chicken cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 4-5 hours
    why would anyone want to cook chicken breasts in a slow cooker? that's just pure lazy as they cook in no time. weird!
  • LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hi! Try www.allrecipes.com. I use them all the time, and the recipes contain a lot of ingredients you already have in the kitchen. There are healthy choices along with all types of menus. it's awesome. Have a good day.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Google can be your friend
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Try skinnytaste.com. I can vouch that most of her recipes taste awesome and can be done relatively cheap! I always make extra and then portion them out, freeze them for lunches throughout the week or month!
  • S4r4hm00
    S4r4hm00 Posts: 14
    Options
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/cheap-and-healthy

Some lovely cheap and healthy meals here x
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Fry onions and garlic, add 1/4 cup Quinoa and 1/4 cup veg broth. 1 tsp cumin or garam masala, 1 cup black beans, boil then simmer twenty minutes, add frozen corn and cilantro. For more protein add cubed tofu or chicken broth.
  • shenson2522
    shenson2522 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
    Cook Time: 30 Minutes
    Ready In: 45 Minutes
    Servings: 6
    "Chicken breasts are breaded with flavorful crumbs, herbs, and Parmesan cheese, then baked for the easiest, quickest chicken dish ever. Serve with a salad and pasta or rice for a scrumptious dinner."
    INGREDIENTS:
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 cup dry bread crumbs
    2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    6 skinless, boneless chicken breast
    halves
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
    2. In a bowl, blend the olive oil and garlic. In a separate bowl, mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil, and pepper. Dip each chicken breast in the oil mixture, then in the bread crumb mixture. Arrange the coated chicken breasts in the prepared baking dish, and top with any remaining bread crumb mixture.
    3. Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
  • Lala_White
    Lala_White Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    There are too many possibilities. Please narrow it down by the type of food you like to eat. Then I can help you. :)
  • ALekaeHay
    ALekaeHay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com -- She has tons of GREAT recipes (usually under 300 cal per serving) and most can be cheaply made.

I agree with a previous poster about chicken breast. I usually buy the big 2+ pound with bone, boil it in a pot with some onion, celery, bay leaves, and carrots. Once it's finished I shred or cube it and use later for soups, sandwiches, salads, casseroles, etc. Then you can save the broth; you won't have to spend $ on the canned broth and this is natural! Frozen tilapia is also great. (I usually catch it on sale at Kroger for about $3.50 a bag and stock up!)

If you've not tried freezer cooking I would recommend that also. It takes some prep time up front, but since you're buying things in bulk and then freezing you can save money and SO MUCH time later!
  • ALekaeHay
    ALekaeHay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of easy and cheap slow cooker meals. I'll post one now and come back later on to post more

3-4 chicken breast
    a splash of red wine vinegar(you don't need this if you don't have any)
    1/2 bag of baby carrots or 3-4 carrots chopped into sticks
    1 butternut squash cut into cubes
    2tbsp italian seasoning

Place chicken in crockpot add a splash of red wine vinegar. In separate bowl mix veggies and seasoning pour on top of chicken cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 4-5 hours
    why would anyone want to cook chicken breasts in a slow cooker? that's just pure lazy as they cook in no time. weird!

It's not weird at all. Chicken cooks very quickly - actually, so does ground beef, fish, and some pork cuts - but it's much nicer when I can toss it in the crock pot (frozen usually) and by the time I come home from work it's finished. Win win! :)
  • Lala_White
    Lala_White Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Here's an easy and delicious chicken meal...

1/2 cup parmesan cheese
    1 cup Greek yogurt -plain (I use non fat)
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
    1/2 tsp pepper

Spread mixture over chicken breasts, bake at 375 degrees for 45 mins--
  • C12254
    C12254 Posts: 198
    Options
    Here's a great site for healthy, inexpensive meals!
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/
    Blessings!

GREAT site! Thank you for sharing!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    Coca Cola Chicken (a student staple in China, similar to Teriyaki)

Brown some chicken (I use thighs) with garlic. Toss in a smalll can of coke (regular, not diet) and a few glugs of soy sauce. Simmer for 45 minutes. Near the end of cooking time, increase heat so that the sauce caramelizes into a syrupy mass. Serve with rice or quinoa and cooked veg.
  • S4r4hm00
    S4r4hm00 Posts: 14
    Options
    Intrigued to try this nice quick easy one for after the gym x