HELP- started C25K, having knee pain

Options
I'm on week 3 of c25k and am having increasing knee pain. Started in right knee after week 1, subsided. Week 2, left knee started hurting. Took a few days off. Now after week 3 both knees are sore. I am overweight and have never committed to cardio really besides long walks. I really enjoy running though and dont want to stop. Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    i'm personally check it out with a physio/doctor.

or go slower. like repeat week 1 a few times. make sure to stretch properly before and after

i'm on month 6 is not being able to run after overdoing it. I was already a runner but upped my mileage/speed too fast and didn't build up proper muscles to support it. it's awful. three physios, a chiro and a sport doctor and i don't feel like i'm on a path to getting any better.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    How are your shoes? Worn shoes can cause pain in knees, calves, thighs, etc. Are your legs feeling heavy? It may be shes.
    Have you had your feet checked to ensure that you have the proper shoes for your gait? Take an old pair of shoes into a running shop and have them assess your feet. You may need a differnt shoe.

Do have this checked by a doctor to esure that you can run, just to be sure.
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree with checking with your doctor.
  • GigiC1130
    GigiC1130 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there! If I were you, definelty check in with a doctor. You’re for sure going to experience some discomfort on this journey, but try to avoid injuries because that’ll lead to a slippery slope of issues.

I kind of did c25K but I also mixed in a lot of strength training on the off days and it helped a TON with pains. I mean- it caused more pain but it made me way stronger than running. Good luck!!
  • Bwilty7
    Bwilty7 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Stretch/roll out your IT band.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I had this problem at week 3 but already had been to a running store to be properly fitted for shoes. What helped me was to take 2 days rest instead of 1 day and more importantly to run slower. A lot slower. Slow motion jogging slower. Barely any lift to your jog slower.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Get it checked and if all is good, take it slow. Get fitted for the right shoe. For example I pronate something fierce so without a good support shoe I do some pretty knarly damage to my knees. With the correct shoe the improvement on how much more gentle it was on my joints is amazing!

Also, most running injuries occur because people go too hard too fast. Work on walking distances that exceed what you would run to build up strength in your joints. Running is about the hardest thing you can do to your knees and with extra weight its brutal on the knees so you need to strengthen them.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The right shoes mean everything when you are starting running. As another commenter said, old/worn shoes can lead to injury. I also agree to get checked out if the pain persists, but also get some good shoes. Go to an actual running store if you can and not to Foot Locker. A running store will have trained their employees to watch your walk/run and will be able to properly evaluate what shoes might work for you. Running shoes are an investment. Expect to pay close to $120 for a pair. But what costs more? A pair of new shoes? Or a medical bill?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of c25k and am having increasing knee pain. Started in right knee after week 1, subsided. Week 2, left knee started hurting. Took a few days off. Now after week 3 both knees are sore. I am overweight and have never committed to cardio really besides long walks. I really enjoy running though and dont want to stop. Any advice would be appreciated!

Take a week off and RICE, when you start back, go slower and start back at week 1. Get fit for shoes if you haven't already.

Make sure you're stretching after you run.

If the pain starts again, see a physio.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Take a week off and RICE, when you start back, go slower and start back at week 1. Get fit for shoes if you haven't already.

Make sure you're stretching after you run.

If the pain starts again, see a physio.

Agree with all of this. If you haven't, go get fit at a running store for shoes. I would personally take a week off to focus on stretching, rolling, and RICE. Start back at week 1, start slower (1 step above a fast walk), and stretch/roll after each run.

Wouldn't hurt checking with your doctor either.