? for moms

Options
Breastfeeding are you for or against?

Replies

• SANDRA_F26
    SANDRA_F26 Posts: 180
    Options
    I nursed my son for 13 months but I was not working then Im about to have this one only difference is im working full time. not sure what I wanna do.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Fairly divisive topic but...

I breastfed my kids. I am not one of those women who will put someone down if they choose not to, though. To each their own.

One of the people I work with has a son is about 9 months old now and she has pumped for him since he was a couple of weeks old. I give her props for that because I always hated pumping.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    ^^Agreed. Be ready for much judgment. Anyway...I bottle fed my oldest and breast fed the rest. They all turned out quite healthy and well-attached. I have no complaints either way. Didn't notice much difference in health and development. All are in the gifted program, so I'll call it successful. I do like the cost of breast-feeding though. :wink:
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I tried, but I couldn't. I got a really bad and PAINFUL infection (I'll never forget). So, I had to do goats milk. My son is extremely healthy.

If I ever get pregnant again I don't think I will try to bf. It's just a personal decision. Everyone is different.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Well the plan is to breastfeed and then hopefully pump. Praying that''s what will happen because I really think breastfeeding is one of the most beautiful things we get to do as women.

PS-I'll be a full timer too
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone be against it? Whats to be against?
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I did both. I don't care what others do....just feed your kid!
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    2 kids, both not breastfed. I couldnt.. dont want to go into it, but i physically couldnt breast feed.

Yes i felt like i missed out on something, same as not physically being able to give birth (2 c-sections)

Have my kids suffered because of it?
    Nope, 14yr old who is currently doing her gcse's early and is top of her class for near enough everything(so not affected mentally) is taller than me and mobile in every way (so not physically affected) and we are really close (so not emotionally affected)

3yr old son, basically the same as his sister but a bit early to tell.

Go with what you feel, its nothing to do with anyone else.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Fairly divisive topic but...

I breastfed my kids. I am not one of those women who will put someone down if they choose not to, though. To each their own.

I agree, and I am the same. I breastfed both my girls, but I'm not going to tell you you're a bad mommy because you're not BF your child. Please, I have better things to worry about! Like how you're dressing your little one, are you dressing the little peanut in designer duds? No??!!! Bad Mommy!!!
    I don't care what others do....just feed your kid!

^^^This!
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm for whatever works best for the mom and baby.

I would've loved to breastfeed but was unable to with both my children so they got formula.

Do what works.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I try to not get judgemental about it but it is safest , healthiest, cheapest, and the most environmentally friendly option so yeah I don't see why one wouldn't do it.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I am for breastfeeding if it works for you. It's not for everyone and that's okay. I breastfed both of my kids and am happy I did.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I couldn't breastfeed my son. Complications during birth lead to him being in the NICU for long enough for my supply to dry up with no support from hospital staff to help me feed him.

I breastfed my daughter straight after she was born. She latched on instantly. We made it to 16 months of nursing before she self-weaned.

Both of my kids are healthy and bright. As long as your child is being fed, as long as what you're doing is right for you and your child, who gives a damn what other people think.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I'm for whatever works best for the mom and baby.

I would've loved to breastfeed but was unable to with both my children so they got formula.

Do what works.

I agree.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    For, even the tiniest bit can help the overall health. After 6 weeks I pumped for the next 4.5 months... that sucked majorly...

HOWEVER, I have no judgment towards others that don't for whatever reason... as long as the baby is being adequately fed and otherwise taken care of, I don't care.
  • mickeyullrich
    mickeyullrich Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I breastfed my 4 kids...it felt easier to me than having to deal with bottles... and then when I tried to supplement because I wanted a break, my last three boys refused to take the darned bottle. I never cared how other people were feeding their children, as long as they were feeding them :0)!

It is such a personal decision and I have never understood how mom's can turn on each other over this issue instead of support each other...Congratulations on your pregnancy :smile: !
  • Eli_Xx
    Eli_Xx Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Breastfed both of my kids, my son until 14months (8months pregnant) and still nursing my daughter (15months) now while I'm trying to lose weight (:
  • RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would have loved to breast feed but unfortunately I couldn't... Physically. That first night home from the hospital was the worst night of my life because of it....
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Breast feeding would be my first choice, did it with both my kids, and why not, it's free! But many women have valid reasons for not breast feeding, and there's nothing wrong with that. My older son had to be switched to formula at 6 months, and my younger son was exclusively breast fed.
  • EHolstrom
    EHolstrom Posts: 2,563 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding is so good for baby(and mom too) I hope every mom at least gives it a try. However I understand some women cant for many different reasons. And I dont look down on moms that formula feed. If you want to continue breastfeeding look up to see if your state has any laws the protect breastfeeding at the work place and talk to your boss about allowing you time to pump.