Foot Pain

Options
I have been having extreme pain in my left foot. The pain is in my heel area. Also, after I have been on the elliptical for a while the bones in my foot start to make a cracking sound. It is very painful. It feels like the bones are breaking. I am finding it very hard to work out. The pain in my heal also runs along my arch area. I have a doctor's appointment in August. I am wondering if anyone else has had similar problems?

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Seeing your doctor is a smart idea. In the meantime, below is an excerpt from another website about plantar fasciitis.
    Here is a link to the page:
    http://www.foot.com/info/cond_plantar_fasciitis.jsp

"Definition
    Plantar Fasciitis is an inflammation caused by excessive stretching of the plantar fascia. The plantar fascia is a broad band of fibrous tissue which runs along the bottom surface of the foot, attaching at the bottom of the heel bone and extending to the forefoot. When the plantar fascia is excessively stretched, this can cause plantar fasciitis, which can also lead to heel pain, arch pain, and heel spurs.

Cause
    Plantar Fasciitis often leads to heel pain, heel spurs, and/or arch pain. The excessive stretching of the plantar fascia that leads to the inflammation and discomfort can be caused by the following:

Over-pronation (flat feet) which results in the arch collapsing upon weight bearing
    A foot with an unusually high arch
    A sudden increase in physical activity
    Excessive weight on the foot, usually attributed to obesity or pregnancy
    Improperly fitting footwear

Over-pronation (flat feet) is the leading cause of plantar fasciitis. Over-pronation occurs in the walking process, when a person's arch collapses upon weight bearing, causing the plantar fascia to be stretched away from the heel bone.

With Plantar Fasciitis, the bottom of your foot usually hurts near the inside of the foot where the heel and arch meet. The pain is often acute either first thing in the morning or after a long rest, because while resting the plantar fascia contracts back to its original shape. As the day progresses and the plantar fascia continues to be stretched, the pain often subsides."

Have you suddenly become much more physically active--IE the use of the elliptical--perhaps some jogging, also? What kind of footwear are you using during exercise?

I want to emphasize I am NOT DIAGNOSING your issue, but the description you posted certainly points in the direction of the condition described above. The page I quoted from also includes treatment options, so you might want to check it out.

As far as the "cracking" you mentioned...I ran across a forum post from the same website that indicated to a person with a description similar to yours who had flat feet. Arch supports were mentioned. Here is a link to that post:
    http://www.foot.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=356

Good luck.
  • baldric1331
    baldric1331 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    although im not a doctor i do have this also and two of my kids have it as well and there are a number of streches that you can do for the foot ect to help it im sure that the doc can go thought them but if he dont ask him about them so you get shown properly.

I know the pain your going though though cos ive had mine since i was 10 years old now 36 and i never got my treated till just the other day :( but my kids i have got sorted with it and they now lead normal lifes without all the dad my foot hurts ect all the time
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your info :)
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Options
    What size heels do you wear? I started with this problem many years ago and was told by the doctor to stop wearing flat shoes all the time and start wearing 1 to 11/2 inch heels I just bought some gel like heel supports from the chemist to wear inside my shoes saved me buying all new ones. I think you are right to go to your doctor and get it checked as it could also be a number of other things.