Anyone?

Options
Does anyone carry an empty applesauce cup and a tablespoon in their purse? I’m thinking it would be a good idea. I probably won’t actually measure with them but set them next to my plate for serving size reference.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,003 Member
    Options
    No.

When I measure, I use weight ... grams.

But I can't think of very many situations where I would need to carry a food scale.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Weighing food at home is the best idea. it gets you good at eyeballing amounts. There is no need for weighing outside for all to see.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I carry a deck of cards in my purse. Years ago WW referenced it as an estimation tool for 3 ounces of chicken.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    This seems very awkward and of little benefit. Even if you find out that, say, your serving of restaurant mashed potatoes is about one cup, that doesn't tell you a lot about how many calories are in that serving of mashed potatoes. They may also have a ton of butter; they may have butter plus sour cream; they may have butter plus sour cream plus whole milk or even heavy cream. All of those things could add a LOT of invisible calories.

I think it's more straightforward to just accept that every food you didn't cook yourself is always going to be an estimate when it comes to logging, even if you know how big the portion is. Estimate high for all restaurant foods.
  • fcanad
    fcanad Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I carry a quarter cup measuring cup for adding whole milk to tea
    I also carry a spoon, but not for measuring.