Running question

Options
Hello! I'm just beginning to do running intervals on the treadmill. I strike mid-foot and on the outer edges of each foot. Throughout my intervals, I get a tightness up the outside of my legs below my knee. Then several hours afterward, my ankles feel sore and I have pain where the tightness was. I've always walked on the outside of my feet and they are also super wide. Really not sure how to fix this or if there is any way to fix it. I'm also using shoes that were recommended to me by a local running store for supination (after they observed my gait). Any suggestions?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to help you much, but a few thoughts:

1 - I had leg problems in those super duper running store specials where they check your gait like a blue ribbon winner at the county fair.
    2 - I used to get a ton of leg problems when running on a treadmill.

I can tell you what I did when I was having chronic problems with my lcl and mcl. I switched to vibram five fingers, and started running outside on different types of ground. Be it dirt, gravel, concrete, grass, and black top.

The problems went away.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    All I can recommend, based purely on my own experience with pain on a treadmill and pain running outside, is to stretch, stretch, and stretch some more.

When I finsh a run, the first thing I stretch are my calves. I prefer to "hang" off of a step/ledge, and push that heel down to get a nice pull through my ankle/calf. Hold it for a good minute, and do the other side. Then I follow up with hamstrings, quads and depending on the run hips/it band stretches too.

Be sure that you are resting between runs at this point. I started out to hard and too fast and ended up almost not able to walk thanks to a knee injury.

If it persists, take your shoes, and make an appointment with a sports therapist/physiotherapist.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I heard recently that using shoes to correct your natural gait are counterproductive, because ti works against what nature has already taught you to correct. (Does that make sense!?!?!) Try normal running shoes and do what feels natural. Also, try slowing your pace a little. You may be pushing yourself too hard. I prefer running outside because then I can run at a pace that is comfortable for me and I can enjoy the scenery - double bonus!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm just beginning to do running intervals on the treadmill.

This is why you are having discomfort. You just started. Have you done any easy running before embarking on these fast intervals? You have to condition the muscles and connective tissues to handle the new stress. Ease into it. I suggest a month or two of just easy, conversational pace running before you start doing anything faster.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who replied. I'll try my normal shoes tomorrow and make sure I'm not pushing it too hard. My "run" is very slow ... 4.3 on the treadmill, max 4.6. I will try to find somewhere outside to run to see if there is a difference, but I'm not sure how comfortable I feel doing that at 5 a.m., lol