Am I on the right track? Beginner bodybuilder..

sixxfan76
sixxfan76 Posts: 8 Member
42 year old guy, 5’10, 236 lb. Around 25% BF. Started lifting w/moderate cardio back in mid January... in the gym 3 days per week. Full body workout using nearly every machine at the gym along with squats, deadlifts, and benchpress on the Smith machine. I’ve also been trying to eat by macros for the first time ever. I used an app to figure my macros... so I’m eating 2300 cals per day, 40 protein, 40 carb, 20 fat. Does this sound right? My first goal right now is to stay in the gym, keep eating right, and hopefully make a decent transformation over the course of a year, losing quite a bit of body fat and building muscle. I guess I just need confirmation that I’m on the right track. Any advice is appreciated!!

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    You are on the right track. Stay the course and have patience. A minor tweak is that you protein might be higher than necessary slightly. I recently heard Eric Helms, on of the most knowledgeable people about protein intake and muscle building, say .8 grams per lb of body weight. What is your intake in grams?

Either way. If you prefer more protein, there is no harm.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    I would recommend providing more details on your lifting program. Its hard to see if its balanced, the amount of volume or even if its based on a progressive overload system.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I would recommend providing more details on your lifting program. Its hard to see if its balanced, the amount of volume or even if its based on a progressive overload system.

Agreed. If you aren't on a proven progressive lifting program, OP, get on one. Here's an exhaustive list (that I don't know why @psuLemon didn't post, since it's his list. ;) )

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • sixxfan76

Basically full body workout, 3-4 days per week. I hit 2 tricep machines, 1 machine each for chest press, shoulder press, rows, pull-down, back extension, flys, reverse flys, calf extension, leg extension, leg press. Dumbbells for biceps curls, overhead tricep extension, and flys. Smith machine for squats, deads, & bench. 3x10 on all. Same workout each day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    sixxfan76 wrote: »

Basically full body workout, 3-4 days per week. I hit 2 tricep machines, 1 machine each for chest press, shoulder press, rows, pull-down, back extension, flys, reverse flys, calf extension, leg extension, leg press. Dumbbells for biceps curls, overhead tricep extension, and flys. Smith machine for squats, deads, & bench. 3x10 on all. Same workout each day.

Do you do that every day? Did you design the program or did you find this somewhere? Have you considered getting on something designed by a pro like PHUL?

Outside of eating more protein than necessary (not saying that is a bad thing or wrong), following a structured program and tracking your progress is where I would begin.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member

Holy crap. That’s way to much per workout 3-4 days a week. I second what lemon says. Choose a program from the sticky. Upper lower or a full body
  • sixxfan76

Do you do that every day? Did you design the program or did you find this somewhere? Have you considered getting on something designed by a pro like PHUL?

Outside of eating more protein than necessary (not saying that is a bad thing or wrong), following a structured program and tracking your progress is where I would begin.

LOL Yes, I’ve been doing that each time I’m in the gym, which is usually 3 days per week, sometimes 4.
  • sixxfan76
    jdog022 wrote: »

Holy crap. That’s way to much per workout 3-4 days a week. I second what lemon says. Choose a program from the sticky. Upper lower or a full body

LOL That’s why I’m here for advice.
  • sixxfan76
    So I’ve got a goal in mind of burning off this belly fat (and reducing overall body fat %) while also increasing muscle mass. I would love for a pro to point me to the correct workout program and provide advice on how to eat correctly (ie, more towards a cut/deficit or more towards a bulk). I just don’t want to spend the next year in the gym spinning my wheels and not achieving any of my goals. Thanks for all your guidance.
  • sixxfan76
    mmapags wrote: »
    People have already pointed out 2 for you. PHAT and PHUL. They are both excellent for your goals.

The dietary part is not complicated. Get adequate protein, .8 grams per lb of body weight is a good ballpark, and a reasonable deficit, 1% to 2% of body weight. Let preference drive the rest.

Thank you!
  • snowprincess502
    snowprincess502 Posts: 103 Member
    You are on the right track. 3 days in the gym lifting and cardio is the best thing you can do. Always continue to push yourself in cardio and lifting to build more muscle.

I would add more protein to your diet. You should consume 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.

Hope this helps.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    So I’ve got a goal in mind of burning off this belly fat (and reducing overall body fat %) while also increasing muscle mass. I would love for a pro to point me to the correct workout program and provide advice on how to eat correctly (ie, more towards a cut/deficit or more towards a bulk). I just don’t want to spend the next year in the gym spinning my wheels and not achieving any of my goals. Thanks for all your guidance.

Lots of good advice so far.

You are in no place to bulk, get to 12-15% BF then start thinking about it. Also given your height and weight if you've just been lifting for 3 months, unless you have a very active manual labor job, your starting BF is most likely more than 25%.

You will get there, just takes time and effort. Best of luck.

• sixxfan76
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

You are in no place to bulk, get to 12-15% BF then start thinking about it. Also given your height and weight if you've just been lifting for 3 months, unless you have a very active manual labor job, your starting BF is most likely more than 25%.

I’m not bulking. I eat in a deficit every single day, but still try to get as much protein in as possible. In 3 months of clean eating and lifting 3 days a week I’ve lost a total of 6 pounds.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

I’m not bulking. I eat in a deficit every single day, but still try to get as much protein in as possible. In 3 months of clean eating and lifting 3 days a week I’ve lost a total of 6 pounds.

Good deal, I may have misunderstood this post where you mentioned bulking:

So I’ve got a goal in mind of burning off this belly fat (and reducing overall body fat %) while also increasing muscle mass. I would love for a pro to point me to the correct workout program and provide advice on how to eat correctly (ie, more towards a cut/deficit or more towards a bulk). I just don’t want to spend the next year in the gym spinning my wheels and not achieving any of my goals. Thanks for all your guidance
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    I agree that incorporating more compound lifts is critical and when possible I try to avoid using the smith machine as I feel it affects my form and is too restrictive. I also agree that machines have their place. I often use machines toward the end of my cut when body fat is low and my caloric deficit is down. If you still prefer machines maybe consider incorporating drop sets as it’s much easier to perform drop sets on machines then with free weights. As far as nutrition, tracking and staying consistent with macros has really helped. I believe it’s takes some time to determine the right macros. Right now during my cut I am at 55p/25c/20f.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    I agree with PHAT, I ran it last year for 7 months on a bulk and was very happy with it and the results. I am in the midst of a very slow cut and have been sampling other programs and to be honest in a few weeks I will be back on PHAT, I had my best progress on it. I only left as I wanted to try something else.

I think your macros are fine I run the same percentages. However I am eating a lot more than you are. I am cutting on 2800 to 3000 right now. I was upwards of 3800 when I was bulking.
  • trdrsix0s
    trdrsix0s Posts: 11 Member
    You seem ro be misssinf the main muscle building exercises. Heavy cinoound exercises. Squat, deadlift, bench press or dumbbell pressses or dips. Riws. Building muscle is about proigressive overload with multijoint exercises.