Weighing food=wasting food?

Options
I'm in the market for a food scale but I have a question for those of you using them. If you weigh an item and it's over your portion limit, do you just cut off the excess? If so, what do you do with the leftovers? I'm specifically asking about meat here.

I want to watch my portions but I hate the idea of throwing out excess food. I hate wasting food and - by extension - wasting money. So I'm curious. What do you do with the extra meat scraps?

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    A portion is whatever you decide it is. Weighing is for accurate tracking. Don't let a package or suggested "serving size" dctate how much you eat of something.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I'm in the market for a food scale but I have a question for those of you using them. If you weigh an item and it's over your portion limit, do you just cut off the excess? If so, what do you do with the leftovers? I'm specifically asking about meat here.

I want to watch my portions but I hate the idea of throwing out excess food. I hate wasting food and - by extension - wasting money. So I'm curious. What do you do with the extra meat scraps?

If, for instance, I am having 6oz chicken, I will weigh it as I carve it off the carcass, I do the same with all other meat. If any is left over, my hubby is not on weightloss, so he gets the extra lol. The same goes for other food such as cheese, fish etc etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't waste food. I simply use my scale to be more accurate. I have on occasion cut a chicken breast in half to be roughly 4 oz each and grilled them both up...eat one and then reserve the other for a salad or something the next day...but I never waste food. As magerum stated, a "portion" is whatever you decide your portion is.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    What I do is fairly complex, but I have a system. What I don't eat, I put in the refrigerator. Then I eat it another day.
  • GetNew81
    GetNew81 Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks for the response. That was helpful!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    A portion is whatever you decide it is. Weighing is for accurate tracking. Don't let a package or suggested "serving size" dctate how much you eat of something.

Ditto this... I bought chicken breasts today and they're all around 4.5-5oz...I just track that I'm eating that much instead.
  • GetNew81
    GetNew81 Posts: 26
    Options
    All right, I'll keep that in mind. I find that when grocery shopping, the cheaper the price the smaller the portions. I have to discipline myself to choose those over the bigger ones.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Good luck with picking out an awesome food scale, OP!
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Don't throw it away!!

Save it for the next day and incorporate it into your diary.. never waste food!!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Well my thought process is that it can either go to waste or to my waist. I keep a Tupperware container for soup and any excess goes in there.

I also agree with the above person that you cut off what you feel is a portion and weigh it for tracking. If it adds up to way more calories simple save half for your next meal or snack.

Shirley Gauthier
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. If it's chicken breasts for example, I eat a whole one. I weigh it and then adjust the serving size from 1 to like 1.5 or 1.75 servings to get it to the size I am eating. Example. Tonight, I'm having chicken. The serving size on the package says 4oz is 120 calories. My piece is 6 oz so I adjust the serving size to 1.5 servings which is 180calories.

If it's ground meat, I usually weigh the types I buy to get a cooked and an uncooked weight since a serving size is based off uncooked meat. If I'm cooking for me and my boyfriend, I can weigh out my portion without cooking it separately. If I am cooking just for me, I'll cook the whole package and then weigh out serving sizes and eat it for a few meals.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I are eating pork loin tonight for dinner.
    We are cooking the whole thing, weighing our 3-4oz serving, and putting the rest aside for left overs :]
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

you are incredibly supportive!

OP...typically what i weigh is what i eat....if i put 12oz of chicken on the scale...im eatin it.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

OP...typically what i weigh is what i eat....if i put 12oz of chicken on the scale...im eatin it.

THANK YOU!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Or, if it's only 4 oz...then I know to add more chicken for a proper meal.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

You're slowly killing my will to live, you know that?
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options

Two words. Left overs.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I eat them later.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think I waste LESS food with my scale.

I already weighed it, so I gotta eat it!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I like to think of it this way... Let's say you have a baby that weighs 9lb 13oz. You don't just cut off the baby's foot so that it weighs an even 9lbs. You simply make your baby book entry read "9lb 13oz."

You could make the baby run later to burn off the calories those extra 13oz packed on, though. Just.... strap it to the treadmill or something.