Over 60 members

Options
Hi everyone,

I am 60 years old and just started keto for the first time on 2/19/19. I am doing well and not having any issues. I am eating cleanly and usually staying under 10 carbs a day. I don't snack and several days a week I don't eat lunch. I don't use the scale because I hate it (good or bad), but it's hard to "quantify" how I'm doing. Some days I feel like I have lost a lot; other days I feel like very moderate loss. I have 80 lbs. to lose. Although I am really happy for any health benefits (especially getting off of bp medicine, I really want to drop this weight. How is everyone doing? How long did it take you to lose your weight?

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
  • sandy_in_sandy_land
    sandy_in_sandy_land Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and doing medifast 5&1. I need to get healthy so I can enjoy my life and soon retirement.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    It took me from April to almost the end of the year to lose about 50 pounds in 2015, when I was age 59-60, going from obese to a healthy weight. I didn't do any special named diet, just kept remodeling my eating gradually in the direction of better nutrition and satisfaction on a reasonable number of calories. I was already active (athletically) and had been for years while staying obese, so I didn't much change my exercise; but I was sedentary in daily life (retired).

I'm still at a healthy weight now, well into year 3 of maintenance, 5'5", mid-130s pounds, age 63.

It sounds like you (OP) have found an approach that works for you ("clean", low carb), which is great. While I focused on getting good well-rounded nutrition, I didn't do anything beyond that, just eating foods I enjoy that kept me full and enjoying life. If someone is still looking for a method, I wrote up that "gradual remodeling of eating" approach in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

Best wishes!
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the informational threads!
  • LuvtheBay2
    LuvtheBay2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 70 and found the weight is creeping up as my metabolism has slowed down. I wish I could get 7 hours of sleep a night but it doesn’t happen. I have tracked what I eat, off and on for a long time. Now it’s time to do it consistently. Has anyone tried the Keto diet and were you successful?
  • MeloD1987
    MeloD1987 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hello all,If anyone follows a specific diet plan,would you mind sharing? I feel lost esp when it comes to breakfast and end up eating the same tired oatmeal with blueberries.
    I would love to be able to lose around 2lbs/wk,I do work out 3 days a wk.
    I guess I should increase that to 4 days/wk but...what else?
    Btw...I’m a 63 yr old woman :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    MeloD1987 wrote: »
    Hello all,If anyone follows a specific diet plan,would you mind sharing? I feel lost esp when it comes to breakfast and end up eating the same tired oatmeal with blueberries.
    I would love to be able to lose around 2lbs/wk,I do work out 3 days a wk.
    I guess I should increase that to 4 days/wk but...what else?
    Btw...I’m a 63 yr old woman :)

I'm 63, too. Back when I was 59-60, I used the plan below, lost around 50 pounds. Now 63, maintaining weight in 130s, at 5'5", after several decades of obesity. Didn't change my exercise routine from what it had been for over a decade.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

It's not very specific, though. Just suggests eating foods you enjoy.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I rotate between scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, oatmeal and berries, and almost always have a protein shake. My diet tends to be pretty boring-I keep it simple and mainly rotate dinner options. I meal prep and will often have the same items for dinner on a weekly basis (easier to do the recipes that way). I do eat a fair amount of veggies and fruit and always save calories for snacks (or maybe I actually eat closer to 6 meals a day!). Find myself looking at macros more as time goes on. I mainly eat what I ilke, just weigh it.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Breakfast for me (59 yo) is usually either Heritage Flakes multi-grain cereal with Greek yogurt and artificial sweetener mixed all together or a multi-grain English muffin and an egg. I don’t mind eating the same thing almost every day. Sometimes I’ll have the English muffin or high-fiber bread with peanut butter or avocado.