Should I renew my gym membership? Does anyone here do strength training without equipment?

Options
Hi all

Firstly, just to say that I am pretty active, I run and cycle and started yoga in Jan. I've been a member of a gym for 2 years, mainly using it for strength training as most of my cardio is easily ticked with running or the bike.
My gym membership is up for renewal, and the truth is, money is pretty tight and I could do with not spending it.
I have stuff like a pull up bar and some free weights at home. But I do like the discipline of leaving the house to go to the gym, and I'm worried about letting it slip.
I'm interested to hear from anyone currently maintaining a strength routine without a gym membership - I don't need suggestions for exercises as such, as I can get them from the web, but just whether you've been able to stay motivated, and whether you feel bodyweight stuff has been challenging enough?
I can also see that yoga could really help with strength too. I've been mainly using it to stretch so far.

Thanks in advance

Claire.

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    If you feel that the gym membership is beneficial/necessary in attaining your goals, renew. If you feel the cost, in light of your current circumstances is too great, don't renew. You can attain any goal you want, anywhere you want to attain it. Now, what do YOU want to do?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into a cheaper gym memberships? There are a lot of gyms with $10/$20 a month memberships that have adequate strength training equipment. That may be more in your price range.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I've *never* gone to a gym 🤫 Everything I do is body weight. I'll never be ripped with this approach, but I'll settle for being a 47 year old with a defined 4 pack.

It is less efficient in that my reps are higher since my max is what I weigh, but you could add weights. On the flip side, I don't incur commute time.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do most of my strength training at home. The gym is a 35 minute drive one way, so I get tired of slogging over there on a daily basis. It does take discipline and commitment to work out at home and not get distracted and is a very personal thing. I have a trx, dumbbells, and a 5ft bar with plates.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Claire5520 wrote: »
    I don't need suggestions for exercises as such, as I can get them from the web, but just whether you've been able to stay motivated, and whether you feel bodyweight stuff has been challenging enough?

I prefer a gym because of the larger equipment selection, but i don't like the time lost from commuting. I invested in a heavy set of adjustable weights from craigslist, since bodyweight exercises don't adequately train lifting ability, which is the skill of lifting heavy objects without injury.

Whatever you choose, follow a proven, pro-designed program for best results, since self-made routines are often imbalanced, as are many internet routines. :+1:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you and what keeps you motivated.

I workout at home. I have some equipment and I chose programming that I enjoy and is in line with my goals which keeps me motivated. Bodyweight stuff only would not be enough for me to get where I need to go. If you are starting off it is fine. You do say you have some weights so you can do some bodyweight and incorporate weights in there too.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't compare what others can or cannot do to what to expect Results are not universal on programming or training.

Your success will depend on how resistance or sensitive to training you are specifically if you are looking to progress or even just maintain strength.

It will also depend on if there is a lack of volume with proper stimulus with your new program compared to the existing one you ran.

Body weight exercises can be challenging or made more challenging but they will also have a limit especially when factor in time slotted for training.

Lastly yoga is enjoyable, but the majority of cases it will not bring a abundance of strength long term.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I LOVE working out at home. It’s much easier for me to run down to the basement and workout than to drive to the gym.

I invested in adjustable dumbbells and will invest in a squat rack. Body weight wouldn’t do it for me.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I was a gym rat for many years, more than I can count and always imagined I would always belong to a gym. Now I don’t. I have no problem motivating myself to workout but prefer going somewhere other than home to train.

So, I have a small workout area in a spare room at my office and go to several local parks where I run, walk, do a kettlebell workout and/or pull-ups and bar dips. It’s more time efficient now.
  • cool_chick_47
    cool_chick_47 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have free use of a gym as a military retiree, but it is an hour drive each way. I found a work-around! I am currently enrolled in college (50-minute commute) and maximize my campus time with an exercise science class (Circuit Training). If I really try, I get a serious workout from the Circuit, as we use strength training. Additionally, we almost always have "free time" after our circuit, and I hit the weights. This is a community college, and I pay a whopping $46/semester hour for use of the gym 2X/week. Consider checking your local CC to see if they have a weight training class. You might be surprised! I *love* my circuit training class, it's tough and rewarding. I made sure my Circuit class was on the same day as my other classes I need to take for my upcoming degree plan.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    You'll save so much time and money working out at home, it's way better than any gym.

Count the cost of membership, fuel and time, that in itself is motivation to stay at home.
  • Claire5520
    Claire5520 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments.
    I don't have an option for a cheaper gym. There are two in my little town and this is the cheapest. Also offers classes (including circuits, Bodypump, spin etc) so if I was looking for a class based approach I might as well pay for membership as opposed to paying £5 a time for individual classes.
    I would LOVE to set up a little home gym, but this isn't an option for me, as I live in a tiny flat with my two daughters and space is a real issue. At the moment I can accommodate TRX straps, a door pull-up bar, and a couple of free weights stashed under the sofa.
    The other thing I have to factor in is having distraction-free time to train. If I'm at home, I have to contend with the kids talking/bickering around me. Plus I am in an upstairs flat, so I always feel bad about doing too much jumping around..
    They've reduced the price to £355 for the year. I've used it around twice a week for the past year so it's not extortionate I guess. It also has a swimming pool, and although I don't use it regularly, it's nice to have the option!
    I have a few weeks to make my decision.. and if I don't renew straight away, the membership goes up to £399 (as they increase prices in April). Bear in mind this is with a corporate discount, the full price is £49.95 monthly!
    Thanks all
    Claire
  • ceegeeCD
    ceegeeCD Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Claire - This is what I use at home for weights, plus I also have a pull-up bar. I can't afford a gym membership so put some of the investment into buying the weights. Like you, I run and cycle but have found that in the past year strength training really complements the cardio work and has changed my body shape in a good way.
    I've found that the benefits of working out at home are that I can exercise at a time that suits me, I can exercise outdoors when it's sunny and I am not stuck to a gym timetable. In terms of distractions, I have a 10-year-old who will come out and do the skipping rope while I do weights, or he kicks a football around or he joins in with squats and push-ups and we have a competition to see how many we can do in a row - try and get your children involved in what you are doing (without the weights) as it will also benefit them.
    In terms of motivation and routine, I put exercise days in my planner so I know what I'm doing on what day and I use Pinterest a lot for ideas of what to do in a strength routine. Overall though, as much as I love to train, it's all about the nutrition - I haven't had the gains I had hoped because my diet hasn't been right, which is why I'm now on MyFitnessPal!
    8wc8w1sn4sbi.jpeg
  • GettingOld68
    GettingOld68 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could put the money you would spend on the gym membership toward PowerBlocks, which are adjustable weights that don't take up too much space? Might mean getting up earlier or staying up later to "avoid" the kids, of course, unless they can work on homework or read or something while you work out. Instead of the ritual of leaving the house for the gym, I have to schedule a time with my son for when the Xbox-TV room in the basement becomes my workout area, which makes me have to get mentally ready for exercise. :) Also, I often use Fitness Blender videos (free) to keep me engaged, and you can schedule them on a calendar so you can feel like you have to make the appointment.