Food Alergies

Hi everyone! I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but I did get shocking news about a food alergy test I did. I am oficeally alergic to everthing other than meat, vegies and a few fruits and I don't know how I'm going to make the change, I really need some advice. I would love to hear what tricks you have up your sleaves☺

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    knnaude99 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but I did get shocking news about a food alergy test I did. I am oficeally alergic to everthing other than meat, vegies and a few fruits and I don't know how I'm going to make the change, I really need some advice. I would love to hear what tricks you have up your sleaves☺

Were you tested by an allergist or a nutritionist?
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Eat a salad once a a day. It will help fill you up.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    So like you can't have grains and dairy?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member

What made you seek out allergy testing? Were you having reactions to everything you ate? I feel like if you had all these allergies you would have known before by strong negative reactions to everything you ate.
  • knnaude99
    knnaude99 Posts: 3 Member
    I was tested by a nutritionist and the results showed that I have an alergy for all forms of milk, specific grains, soy, peanuts and cocoa... most of these I already suspected, but the peanuts were a bit of a shock because I love peanutbutter🙁
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    So hold on, were you actually having allergic reactions to some of these foods? And what are your nutritionist's credentials? I mean, the term 'nutritionist' is pretty meaningless as it's not a regulated industry, so I would query the validity of the test you did.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Was it a verbal diagnosis or was it a print out? If it was a verbal then consider a different nutritionist. They should have given you a list and told you the effects of each.

Additionally if the test wasn't done with a complete blood panel (they would have drawn some blood) but rather just a scratch test it could have been inconclusive.

As one of the other poster's here mentioned, you likely would have known if you had certain major food allergies, especially peanut allergies.

More here https://www.foodallergy.org/life-with-food-allergies/food-allergy-101/diagnosis-testing/skin-prick-tests
  • Inazea
    Inazea Posts: 157 Member
    So since you love peanut butter I assume you had no reaction to that? Because if you don't it probably means that you'd have to eat a ton of peanuts until you get a reaction and you can just ignore it. I used to get severe stomach cramps all the time and they did quite a bunch of tests, blood samples, gastroscopy, etc. Turns out I have a few allergies but none severe enough that I have a reaction to the foods, fructose being the only thing I have to avoid. So yeah, it really depends on if you have an allergic reaction or not.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I was tested by a nutritionist and the results showed that I have an alergy for all forms of milk, specific grains, soy, peanuts and cocoa... most of these I already suspected, but the peanuts were a bit of a shock because I love peanutbutter🙁

Were you having some kind of symptoms? Have you been to a doctor about any of them?

Before you cut large groups of foods out of your diet, go to an allergist. Nutritionists generally have no education in translating allergy tests, and there are cut rate companies out there that anyone can send away to and they do allergy testing. If you are in the US, a nutritionist isn't supposed to diagnose you with anything anyway. I see health coaches and nutritionists all the time who refer each other to these testing companies and have no idea how to determine the quality of the testing or how to really understand the reports.
  • knnaude99
    knnaude99 Posts: 3 Member
    It was a blood test and she gave me a full evaluation with the sevarity of my intolorance to eacb specific food, along with the symptoms that I would experiance. She's a certified nutricianits. I have been having alergic reactions to foods that contain milk and most carb based dishes, so for the past few years I've been trying to avoid these and my symptoms have gotten a lot better. My alergic reactions flared up again this year to the extent where I was willing to do anything to make it stop and had the test done. Looking back, while considdering the results, I must admit that my new symptoms started when I started eating peanutbutter again...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    What kind of advice are you looking for beyond don't eat the things you're allergic to and eat as wide a variety as possible of the things you're not allergic to?

If you're concerned about nutritional deficiencies with a limited diet, you can try tracking here to see, but you'll need to be careful about checking the entries you use for accuracy. If that's your concern, you might be better off seeking a referral to a registered dietician to help you work out a way to meet your nutritional needs from the limited list of foods you can eat.