Samsung Health Users

mszallar
mszallar Posts: 34 Member
Hello!

I'm new and need some help!

My Samsung Health Calorie Adjustment is showing I've earned calories for the day, but doesn't appear to be accurate.

My gear s3 logs the calories I burn per day which doesn't reflect in the mfp Samsung Health Calorie Adjustment.

I realize the adjustment use projections, but I don't understand how these numbers are being calculated.

Thoughts?

Replies

• rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    edited March 2019
    Are you using the S3 with Samsung Health? I just use it with my phone as the step tracker, set MFP to sedentary and eat back my exercise calories and I find I lose at the predicted rate.

Edit- I am in maintenance now but I have used this strategy to lose and maintain.
  • mszallar
    I use my s3 with Samsung health. It pushes all the info to my phone. Then mfp updates the Calorie Adjustment, but doesn't seem accurate.

S3 and Phone say I have burned 1500 calories. The calorie adjustment shows i will burn 2600 with 0 calories earned. Which makes no sense.

Do the calories you burn from your daily step count update on your diary? If so, where?
  • rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    edited March 2019
    Ok, this is I think a settings issue. Try this:
    1. Go to Settings > Data Permissions > MFP inside the Samsung App
    2. Under "Allowed to Write" make sure "Exercise" is turned OFF (this is critical)
    3. Under "Allowed to Read" make sure "Daily step Count Trend" is set to ON. (I have the rest turned off)
    4. Walk around a bit and give it a half hour and it should update in MFP.
  • mszallar
    rsj7799 wrote: »
    Ok, this is I think a settings issue. Try this:
    1. Go to Settings > Data Permissions > MFP inside the Samsung App
    2. Under "Allowed to Write" make sure "Exercise" is turned OFF (this is critical)
    3. Under "Allowed to Read" make sure "Daily step Count Trend" is set to ON. (I have the rest turned off)
    4. Walk around a bit and give it a half hour and it should update in MFP.

I've done this and forced a couple of syncs. There is almost a 600 step difference.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    The longer I use the app the more convinced I am that the calories added via activity is so wildly varied that it can't be relied upon to be even close to accurate. That's not to say that it's not useful, but it just can't be taken at face value and needs a bit of work and experimentation on the users part.

What you need to do is to take the reported calories as a starting point and eat them back for a month or two then note down the rate at which you're losing weight.

If your weight is dropping quicker than you expect and you find yourself feeling deprived then the reported calories are low and you'll need to increase your calorie intake by a % and keep testing until your results tell you how much over the reported calories you need to eat to achieve your desired rate of loss.

If your weight is stalled, going down slower than expected or worst case going up, then the calories reported are too high and you'll need to gradually decrease the % of those calories you eat until your rate of loss is as expected.

If your weight is going down as expected then you lucked out and the reported calories are accurate!

So yeah, use the calories as a starting point and adjust as needed for the best results.