Protein bar trickery

13»

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    If memory serves, I've occasionally picked up a Larabar, checked the nutrition info, and promptly put it back on the shelf. Can't remember why... But being compacted dried dates and nuts, probably it was high sugar and fat and minimal protein for the calories.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    ritzvin wrote: »
    If memory serves, I've occasionally picked up a Larabar, checked the nutrition info, and promptly put it back on the shelf. Can't remember why... But being compacted dried dates and nuts, probably it was high sugar and fat and minimal protein for the calories.

Yep. Energy bars, maybe, but not protein bars.
  • blairtoritb
    blairtoritb Posts: 2 Member
    Lean bars by gnc are pretty amazing.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Edit: Looking through the replies I see that I wasn’t very clear. I travel ALOT I’m rarely home and for meals I would just get junk food. I’m trying to combat that in different ways. I figured protein bars would be a good substitute to a small meal/snack.

Have you looked into Kodiak cups? They have muffins, oatmeal, pancakes, cornbread, and brownies. Most have a minimum of 10 G of protein and looks like all are under 300 calories. You quickly nuke them with some water and they are good to go.

I've had the flapjack cups and they are TASTY.

https://shop.kodiakcakes.com/collections/kodiak-cups
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Yeah, I like Larabars and I will eat them sometimes. But I think of them as a dessert because they're mostly sugar and don't have that much protein.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member

Yeah, I like Larabars and I will eat them sometimes. But I think of them as a dessert because they're mostly sugar and don't have that much protein.

Agreed. When I was doing paleo, a Larabar was my "treat". I liked them, but didn't delude myself into thinking they were protein bars or really filling any particular nutritional need. I just enjoyed eating them. I don't eat them now because I'd rather focus on other foods, and if I'm going to have a treat, I want nutella (living for nutella on rice cakes right now).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

Yes.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

Yep, they're a snack bar with the benefit of having a little bit more protein and fiber than you'd expect.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Another vote for Quest bars, with 20g (whey) protein for 200 calories, plus half my daily fiber. I like the cookies varieties since I have celiac disease and most cookie-flavored food tends to contain actual cookies.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Fit crunch bars by chef Robert Irvine. Honestly taste like a candy bar to me!