Struggling

Options
Hope everyone is having a good day. I am really struggling with binge eating today. Irritated and frustrated with myself. Looking for friends who understand!!

Replies

• mama_bear91215
    mama_bear91215 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    my hardest part in a binge is to not continue to binge, like once i binge through one meal, i'll continue until i'm physically sick, but hey one binge isn't going to hinder results in the long run and that is what i tell myself when i'm having a rough go of it!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    That's when I go for a long walk somewhere. Getting away from the food and having a chance to get some air seems to help. Hope the day gets better.
  • goo927
    goo927 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the support!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I have bad days too. I have struggled with binge eating in the past so it will probably always be a challenge. It does get easier, though, the longer you go and practice good eating habits. You are definitely not back at square one because you've already gotten practice in, and it's easier to go back to better habits than it is to start new habits afresh.
  • laceygaywilson
    laceygaywilson Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    One food choice doesn't define your food future!! Distract yourself and keep your hands and mind busy!!! Keep it up!! You asked for help that's HUGE!!! You are so strong!!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    if I get busy it helps. I don't want to see that weight go up tomorrow on the scale
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    It's what we do on the majority of our days that determines the majority of our outcomes. One meal or one day is a blip in the big picture.

Stuff happens; get back on track as soon as you can. Spend no more than 5-10 minutes figuring out why the binge happened**, making a plan to handle similar circumstances differently next time, rehearsing the new plan vividly in your head a few times like a mini-movie, then let it go. Guilt and drama burn no extra calories, and they usually feel icky, so skip that stuff.

(** Possible candidate reasons: Over-restricting, trying to lose weight too fast; haven't dialed in what foods/eating-timing you find most satiating; sub-optimal nutrition; effect on appetite from exercise today or even yesterday; insufficient or poor-quality sleep; stress; emotions; boredom; social triggers; habit; . . . etc. Possible new plans for the future vary based on the reason, but if the problem isn't actually true hunger or nutritional needs, the answer isn't food.)

Best wishes!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I know binge eating so well! My trigger food used to be bread, lots of it. 2 loaves over lunch? No problem. Through MFP I started to understand what binge eating and trigger foods mean. I have replaced bread with a variety of other foods and feel the better for it. Binge eating can also mean that we might be unhappy with something, a situation in our lives. Peace of mind is very important for a healthy body.