Do you eat at California Fish Grill?

Options
Do you go to California Fish Grill? I find it challenging to eat there as a calorie counter. Their nutritional information shows Grilled Zucchini (2 each) 120 calories. That seemed a bit high to me for a grilled vegetable. A friend told me to order the zucchini without oil because they brush it with rice oil which adds calories. When I order my fish there they ask what style you want it prepared in. When I asked what the lowest calorie option is I was told Cajun style at 130 calories. Is there another way to ask for it to be prepared that wouldn't be that high in calories? Can you order it plain with a side of lemon? Any other tips and tricks for California Fish Grill?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? You should be eating at very minimum 1200 calories per day (although many people should be eating more). So at most, 250 calories is about 20% of that, which is less than what a normal sized meal should be. If anything, you should be eating more calories when you are there, not less calories.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Those are already low calorie. Not sure what the problem is...
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Yes because fish is my thing. Healthy options abound.
  • nazbar30
    nazbar30 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, Swirlybee is right, the 130 calories is just for the Cajun marinade. The fish itself is additional calories. Sorry, I was a bit unclear about that.

I make another good point the oil they would use for plain would add calories as well. Making fish and zucchini at home my calorie count just ends up being so much lower so I think I’m going to have to pass on CFG.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    nazbar30 wrote: »
    Yes, Swirlybee is right, the 130 calories is just for the Cajun marinade. The fish itself is additional calories. Sorry, I was a bit unclear about that.

I make another good point the oil they would use for plain would add calories as well. Making fish and zucchini at home my calorie count just ends up being so much lower so I think I’m going to have to pass on CFG.

Again, what is your total calorie allowance and how much do you typically eat in a meal? Can you make something at home for less calories? Sure, probably. But do you enjoy eating at this restaurant and other restaurants? If so, then you may want to find a way to work this food in (and it doesn’t sound like it would be that difficult) in order to find a sustainable, approach to weight loss that enables you to achieve a moderate calorie deficit, a nutritionally balanced diet, that is also satiating and enjoyable.

While some people do cut back on their restaurant meals - many of us find a way to eat in all sorts of restaurants while still achieving goals. Hopefully you can too.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    It is easy to add 120 calories of oil to zucchini or anything else. My favorite Chinese restaurant confided in me that their fried rice has about 2 oz of toasted sesame oil per serving. 500 calories of oil. No wonder it is so good.

I find butter more effective for grilled fish. 1/2 pat of butter in the skillet, fish face down until it is browned crispy on top, then skin side down until it is cooked through. I would do the same with zucchini.