Confused

Options
I had a 3.3 out of 5 on my yearly review this year so I was happy! Today I had an impromptu meeting with my manager and she was telling me that due to a small mistake I made last week I might have to be put on a process improvement plan .. am sad and confused. I thought I was doing awesome . Now I’m afraid I’m gonna get fired .. I don’t know what to do!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Hugs, sweetheart. It will be okay.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I think you are lucky to have a boss / supervisor who is prepared to show you where you went wrong. In older days you were just fired - or "replaced" as we called it. Be happy and thankful that your mistake has been picked up so further damage to your company can be avoided.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I worked with a teacher that was put on an improvement plan. It was probably the best thing that could have happened. Her teaching skills improved immensely because she took it as an opportunity to grow.

While it can be a huge blow to your confidence, leaving you sad and confused, it can have some positive outcomes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The only people who make no mistakes are the people who do nothing!
    Maybe be disappointed rather than sad?

If you are confused seek clarification. Sounds like your manager is happy to communicate. Talk about the mistake in an open way and not a defensive way, it's not about you as a person it's about the mistake and the impact on the business.

Do remember this is your manager doing her job in seeking to learn from mistakes and prevent recurrence. Embrace the improvement plan in a positive way as a chance to improve your next year's review, that will impress your manager.