Calculating Exercises

Options
So, I am curious how I am to calculate my walking. I purposely, on my days off of work l, go on walks to get in my steps. I go on a walk during the day by myself and then again with my daughter before bed. Should I let my Fitbit count this exercise or add it in? My settings are currently set to sedentary lifestyle and I am considering bumping that up. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    If you have your fitbit synced then you shouldn't manually add it, you'd be double counting.

If you're synced then it also make very little difference what your settings are, MFP will adjust based on what you're actually doing versus the level you've set yourself too.

If you wanted to see a higher base calorie (prior to the adjustment) for planning then you could bump it up.

Sedentary accounts for only around 3000 steps per day, Lightly Active is around 5000-7000.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I just let the fitbit synch take care of calculating that.

you can bump up your activity level if you are always consistantly higher based on steps. I prefer to keep it lower and eat back some exercise calories (more a mental thing at seeing the numbers add up)
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    You an either enter it or let it be done by the adjustment. You won't be double counting. The Fitbit adjustment takes into account if you've entered exercise or not in MFP, so if you enter exercise calories, it will adjust accordingly and give you a lower positive adjustment than it would have had you not entered them.
  • sdewey415
    sdewey415 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification!