Online TDEE calculators experiment

Options
After being strongly discouraged by the inaccuracy of the MFP estimates I decided to do an experiment using various online TDEE calculators I found online.

I have been maintaining my weight more or less for over a year now. A few times my weight went up 5-7 lb and came back down in a few days so there were fluctuations but they never lasted. However, I was confused regarding how many calories I should be eating. I noticed sometimes I ate well below what I needed even though I wasn’t sure of how many calories I needed. I could tell this due to intense stomach pangs and unwanted weight loss. Certain times I’d be extra hungry and eat more than usual. Overall, it all balanced out and I stayed the same weight.

In an effort to see what my actual maintenance calorie figure was I plugged my stats into 5-6 different online calculators and took the average of both the lightly active, moderately active and active level TDEEs.

Over one week I ate at one of the TDEE levels, the next week at another and the third week at yet another recommended TDEE level.

The lightly active estimate had me at 1800 calories.

The moderately active calculator has me at 2300 calories.

The active calc had me at 2600 calories.

On the 1800 calorie week I lost 3 lbs.

On the 2200 calorie week I lost 1 lb.

On the 2600 calorie week I lost 0.5 lb.

I am not active at all currently besides walking a lot to class and biking to commute I do not exercise at the moment. I am relatively low bf%. I am 5’10” and wear a size 2-4 clothing size.

These results suggest my TDEE is actually between 2700-2800 calories which is MUCH higher than I had ever imagined.

I just wanted to post this to show that regardless of perceived “ activity level” our estimates are very dependent on the individual and that these online calculators cannot be trusted. :)

If I had listened to MFP and ate what was suggested I would’ve starved and probably lost too much weight.

I think tracking and calculating based on what happens to YOUR body is the best way. I decided to try this after some suggestions in another thread regarding self estimating TDEE.

This was fun. Please let me know if you have done something similar and what your numbers showed.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    After being strongly discouraged by the inaccuracy of the MFP estimates I decided to do an experiment using various online TDEE calculators I found online.

I have been maintaining my weight more or less for over a year now. A few times my weight went up 5-7 lb and came back down in a few days so there were fluctuations but they never lasted. However, I was confused regarding how many calories I should be eating. I noticed sometimes I ate well below what I needed even though I wasn’t sure of how many calories I needed. I could tell this due to intense stomach pangs and unwanted weight loss. Certain times I’d be extra hungry and eat more than usual. Overall, it all balanced out and I stayed the same weight.

In an effort to see what my actual maintenance calorie figure was I plugged my stats into 5-6 different online calculators and took the average of both the lightly active, moderately active and active level TDEEs.

Over one week I ate at one of the TDEE levels, the next week at another and the third week at yet another recommended TDEE level.

The lightly active estimate had me at 1800 calories.

The moderately active calculator has me at 2300 calories.

The active calc had me at 2600 calories.

On the 1800 calorie week I lost 3 lbs.

On the 2200 calorie week I lost 1 lb.

On the 2600 calorie week I lost 0.5 lb.

I am not active at all currently besides walking a lot to class and biking to commute I do not exercise at the moment. I am relatively low bf%. I am 5’10” and wear a size 2-4 clothing size.

These results suggest my TDEE is actually between 2700-2800 calories which is MUCH higher than I had ever imagined.

I just wanted to post this to show that regardless of perceived “ activity level” our estimates are very dependent on the individual and that these online calculators cannot be trusted. :)

If I had listened to MFP and ate what was suggested I would’ve starved and probably lost too much weight.

I think tracking and calculating based on what happens to YOUR body is the best way. I decided to try this after some suggestions in another thread regarding self estimating TDEE.

This was fun. Please let me know if you have done something similar and what your numbers showed.

That's a lot of qualifications in your activity level and it seems that you are more active than you think. You are certainly at least "active" in both the MFP (if you don't count your commute as exercise) and TDEE definition of things. Possibly more. So these calculators don't have you off quite as much as you think. I am also not sure you can draw trends from one week. There are a lot of things that affect the scale besides fat loss/gain. So while these do appear to form a nice tidy trend, I am not sure that you can draw this conclusion from just a week.

That being said, these calculators (whether using MFP or TDEE) obviously have certain limitations. They are general, not personalized to every person. They are built with the standard person in mind in terms of metabolism, calories out, etc. They will be a pretty good fit for the majority of people, but certain people will naturally be on the outside of them in either direction and have a measurably higher/lower calories in/out than the calculators suggest. The longer one does this, the more data they have about their own performance, and the more inferences they can draw from it to better customize a personalized plan than the one they get from a calculator. These things are meant to be the beginning, not the end of the process.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Interesting experiment, it's been a while since I've played with TDEE calculators, I might have to do that again. Which calculator did you use? I've only ever used scoobys (I think that's what it was called)?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure 1 week at each level is enough to really tell though..

+1
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    As both MFP and TDEE calculators are only estimates, that is what I have used them as.

I have used my real life data to adjust my calorie intake, when needed, during my 9yr maintenance.

(I do/did find, for me, both MFP’s NEAT and TDEE calculators quite accurate)

Cheers, h.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    Options
    .... glad you managed to figure out your actual activity level...

or actually I should say glad you managed to figure out a better starting point for your current activity level.

The calories you need to maintain are not static.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Walking a lot and commuting by bike usually would result in being pretty active