Treadmill makes me dizzy

Options
Hi,

I was walking on my treadmill 5 days per week but noticed it makes me dizzy. Almost vertigo feeling while on it. Is that normal? What other home workouts are good for weight loss?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    What are you eating/drinking before you work out?

How long are you spending on the treadmill? How far are you walking?

Do you feel dizzy doing other things?

How long has the dizziness been happening?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    chelny wrote: »
    I have had a vertigo sensation on the treadmill. I think the machine was wobbling a little, and that affected me. Healthy people do not feel dizzy for no reason. I think there is either a problem with your treadmill or your body.

I wouldn't say that. Sometimes certain environments effect people in ways that other simply don't understand.

What are you doing when you get dizzy? Are you focused on something in front of the treadmill? Or looking down? Maybe try changing your gaze and see if that helps. Or better yet, go outside. :D

Good luck.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    When do you feel dizzy?

I get dizzy when I stop running/walking on the treadmill. I have to stand there for a minute and collect myself.

I get dizzy when I run/walk with earbuds in.

• stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The tread mill makes me dizzy if I’m not looking straight a head or if I try to do something like looking at my phone or even changing a song. It definitely is the motion for me.
    I’m not sure if this is what your referring to or not.
    I have a tv and a window I can look at (straight ahead) and pre set music list. If I look down even for brief second, I lose balance.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    What other home workouts are good for weight loss?

Anything that helps you achieve a calorie deficit will be good for weight loss, however the simplest solution to that is actually working on what you're doing in the kitchen.

Cardio exercise is good for heart health, some alternatives:
    • Walking/Hiking
    • Jogging/Running (outside if treadmill is no good)
    • Cycling
    • Rowing
    • Swimming
    • Aerobics classes
    • Team sports
    • Dancing
    • Rollerblading/Ice Skating
    • Martial Arts/Kickboxing/etc

Strength/Resistance training is good for helping to maintain muscle whilst eating at a deficit:
    • Calisthenics
    • Weights
    • Resistance Bands
    • Yoga
    • Pilates
    • Rock Climbing
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i used to.
    especially if i went for longer runs.
    i found it helpful to look at something that wasn't moving-a spot on the wall, till the sensation passed. but i'm prone to motion sickness
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I'm a disaster on a treadmill. And I'm healthy. Can you try walking? If I HAVE to be on one, I just walk as fast as I can safely do it. Otherwise, I run outside. Maybe try another activity suggested above?
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Ok. Sorry about my earlier post. Not my most lucid moment.
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I get dizzy on treadmills too.
    Hence I use the rowers or bikes for my cardio.