Strength training that avoids bulky thighs?

Options
When I first began hiking eons ago my thighs got very noticeably thicker. Now I've begun lifting and doing strength training exercises like weighted lunges and step-ups, and I can feel and see my thighs getting thicker again. Enough so that I don't like how some of my clothes are starting to fit. What techniques/methods/strength training exercises will help strengthen my leg muscles without making my thighs too bulky? Should I do more reps at lower weights/intensity? Avoid certain moves/exercises? I'm asking specifically about strength training, not cardio.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might be feeling/seeing some muscle swelling after the workout. This can happen as the muscles repair and will eventually go away.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Not enough specific info.

Post a training log of your last mesocycle along with your weight/measurement changes during it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would avoid eating in a surplus while doing lots of leg work, or in a deficit avoid excessive quad dominant work and if you do just don't go progressive. Lunges and step ups can be fairly quad dominant.

There can also be water retention which can make things look bulky. This has happened to me after working certain muscles in the past. Then I realized after the next few days it went back to normal.