Logging in exercise

I’m new to logging in exercise...
Two questions:
How do you put in a yoga class?
For a strength/cardio, how is that input?
Maybe I’m not searching in the right spot for that...

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    For cardio, you'd select whatever cardiovascular activity you were doing under cardiovascular. For strength you would also log that under cardio "strength training" or similar to get a calorie estimate.

Not sure about yoga as I've never logged it...most of the yoga I do is slow stretching and good mediation, but I don't really consider it a "workout"
  • DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Strangely, you can find yoga under the cardio category. 🤔

I still count it as a sort of exercise, as you burn more calories than you do sitting around. At least you're moving, and it has other health benefits. Don't expect any kind of significant calorie burn from it though.
  • mmoniot1
    mmoniot1 Posts: 3 Member
    How do I log in steps? Do I need to upgrade to premium to do that?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    mmoniot1 wrote: »
    How do I log in steps? Do I need to upgrade to premium to do that?

Don't log 100% of your steps as exercise.....that will result in a fair amount of double counting.

You have a few options:
    1. Change your activity level to match your typical step count. Check out the link below....

http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/

2. Log only deliberate walks as workouts. If you walked for 30 minutes and went a distance of 2 miles, that's 30 minutes @ 4 miles per hour.

3. Sync an activity tracker (such as FitBit) or a fitness app to MFP. Syncing does a comparison against the activity level you signed up for and only gives you credit for steps above that level. You can also enable a negative calorie adjustment for days when you don't meet the level you signed up for.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2019
    DeeDeeMee wrote: »

I still count it as a sort of exercise, as you burn more calories than you do sitting around. At least you're moving, and it has other health benefits. Don't expect any kind of significant calorie burn from it though.

ANY exercise with a calorie burn estimate is under cardio.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    DeeDeeMee wrote: »

ANY exercise with a calorie burn estimate is under cardio.

And you can create your own custom exercises, too, if you have a reasonable source of calorie estimates. After you create it, MFP will automatically scale your future uses of it to your bodyweight and the number of minutes you enter the first time.