Cycling in the rain

Options
I hit a plateau last week so I've decided to mix up my exercise a bit. This week instead of going to the gym 3 times I'm going to cycle to work and back everyday (it's a 1 hour roundtrip). I checked the weather forecast and, sod's law, it's raining almost everyday this week! I have showers at work so I can look presentable but for the actual journey itself would any cyclists out there recommend i buy any special waterproof clothing etc? I've read quite a few reviews and with the exception of mudguards ( which I already have) and a waterproof poncho I'm not sure if anything else is worth getting for such a relatively short trip. What do the cyclists out there think? Also, is it just crazy to cycle in the rain???

Replies

• jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    I wouldn't wear a poncho, due to the fact that water from the ground will get you wet
    from underneath. A rain jacket would be better. Also, if its warm, don't wear short
    sleeves, cause if you do, you'll perspire and your skin will stick to the jacket.

I also wear waterproof pants.

You should also have a headlight and taillight so people can see you in the rain.

Doug
  • dude75
    dude75 Posts: 3
    Options
    I would definitely go with the rain jacket. I don't think its crazy to cycle in the rain. Just be careful taking corners because the roads can be very slick.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I can't believe no one mentioned your brakes. Please be very careful biking in the rain, I know my bike brakes don't work well at all when they are wet, and I go sliding. I almost went head first over my handlebars last time. Helmet, and stay way clear of cars!
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    Thanks everyone - my bike is almost 3 weeks old so it has all the accessories you can think of, including lights and new (although squeaky) brakes. My boyfriend has a rain jacket I can borrow to trial run. Being new to cycling I'm still extra careful on the roads so there's no risk of me taking corners fast! Luckily, my route is essentially a straight road. I'll let you know how I get on!