Stopping

Options
So I am back to MFP after a long time! I have gained back all that I lost and then some. I need tips on how to stop eating when your done with a meal. I always want that extra helping and I always have that feeling that I want more although I am perfectly full. I try to use pure will power but that hasn’t been a great strategy. How do y’all tell yourselves I am done without going back for extras. Thanks!

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    Do you keep a food diary? What do you do when you go over your number?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jbeth30 wrote: »
    So I am back to MFP after a long time! I have gained back all that I lost and then some. I need tips on how to stop eating when your done with a meal. I always want that extra helping and I always have that feeling that I want more although I am perfectly full. I try to use pure will power but that hasn’t been a great strategy. How do y’all tell yourselves I am done without going back for extras. Thanks!

Stop making more than you'll eat?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    pre-log. portion out your meal. maybe include some raw veggies to keep your mouth busy.

i put stuff away before i go eat (but it's just me mostly so i can do that).

i will have tea after a meal.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Only cook as much as you want to eat. This way there are no second helping to tempt you. If you cook for a group and there is always second helpings, I recommend getting up from the table for 5-10 minutes so that you are away from the temptation while it passes. I find that those cravings usually subside after a few minutes if you don't feed them.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I portion out the leftovers and put them away before I eat. I am less likely to go back and nibble at what is still in the pot.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    If the meal is that good..I'll pack it up for next day lunch so I'm can enjoy it longer.. 😊
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I don't allow food into my house unless there is a specific plan as to when it will be consumed. If I overeat one day, then I won't have that food available for subsequent days that week. For the few "pantry" type items that are left from other meal plans (eggs, pancake mix, cheese), I would have to prepare and cook separately from the planned meal. The odds of me doing additional cooking and kitchen cleaning without a gun to my head are approximately zero, so this system has worked well for me.
  • jbeth30
    jbeth30 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »

Unfortunately this is why I know I need to quit doing it because I cheat myself. I either don’t log and say I will start over tomorrow or I do log and see how much I go over in calories and get frustrated to the point of having to “start over”. It’s just frustrating for me. I see a lot of good ideas here though that I am going to try. I need to break the cycle.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options

Unfortunately this is why I know I need to quit doing it because I cheat myself. I either don’t log and say I will start over tomorrow or I do log and see how much I go over in calories and get frustrated to the point of having to “start over”. It’s just frustrating for me. I see a lot of good ideas here though that I am going to try. I need to break the cycle.

Logging when I go over helps me so much. One reason is because you typically don't go over as much as you thought. Secondly, it forces me to reflect on what I did, and determine how I can prevent that type of uncontrollable eating in the future. Mostly importantly, though, I tell myself that all I did is go over on calories, that it does not make me a bad person, that calories aren't bad and all I did was eat more than what my body needed, so it'll store some more. When I stopped moralizing eating, things did get better.
  • jbeth30
    jbeth30 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Logging when I go over helps me so much. One reason is because you typically don't go over as much as you thought. Secondly, it forces me to reflect on what I did, and determine how I can prevent that type of uncontrollable eating in the future. Mostly importantly, though, I tell myself that all I did is go over on calories, that it does not make me a bad person, that calories aren't bad and all I did was eat more than what my body needed, so it'll store some more. When I stopped moralizing eating, things did get better.
    Wow! This is food for thought for me. I definitely have this to ponder over a little bit and figure out if I do moralize eating. I do end up feeling bad and guilty when I do eat more than My calories are slotted for. I feel like a failure when I do this. That’s definitely not healthy or helpful in getting past this. Thanks
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options

Wow! This is food for thought for me. I definitely have this to ponder over a little bit and figure out if I do moralize eating. I do end up feeling bad and guilty when I do eat more than My calories are slotted for. I feel like a failure when I do this. That’s definitely not healthy or helpful in getting past this. Thanks

It's certainly easier said that done, so don't worry! Just keep practicing treating food more neutrally and it'll get easier to do. I still struggle with it, but it is just part of the process for some of us when losing weight.